Mar 30, 2013, 4:27 PM EST
Andy Enfield led Florida Gulf Coast on a surprise run in this 2013 NCAA tournament and is now visible on the national radar for schools looking to fill a coaching vacancy. Southern California, having fired head coach Kevin O’Neill during the season, is reportedly looking at Enfield, according to Dan Wetzel of Yahoo! Sports.
But Enfield’s career hasn’t begun with the sudden success of Florida Gulf Coast. From Wetzel’s report:
While Enfield, a former Florida State and NBA assistant coach has few recruiting ties to the West Coast, USC is intrigued by not only his success and potential, but his preferred uptempo style of play.
Enfield’s season with FGCU ended in the Sweet 16 with a loss to Florida. It remains to be seen whether USC would be able to pull him away from Florida Gulf Coast.
The Trojans watched crosstown rival UCLA hire New Mexico coach Steve Alford Saturday. USC has missed out on Memphis’ Josh Pastner, VCU’s Shaka Smart, Butler’s Brad Stevens, and Pittsburgh’s Jamie Dixon, all of whom were considered candidates and have decided to stay at their respective schools.
According to the report, Syracuse’s Mike Hopkins also remains a candidate for the job.
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 12
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 5
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (12)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)