Mar 30, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT
Andy Enfield led Florida Gulf Coast on a surprise run in this 2013 NCAA tournament and is now visible on the national radar for schools looking to fill a coaching vacancy. Southern California, having fired head coach Kevin O’Neill during the season, is reportedly looking at Enfield, according to Dan Wetzel of Yahoo! Sports.
But Enfield’s career hasn’t begun with the sudden success of Florida Gulf Coast. From Wetzel’s report:
While Enfield, a former Florida State and NBA assistant coach has few recruiting ties to the West Coast, USC is intrigued by not only his success and potential, but his preferred uptempo style of play.
Enfield’s season with FGCU ended in the Sweet 16 with a loss to Florida. It remains to be seen whether USC would be able to pull him away from Florida Gulf Coast.
The Trojans watched crosstown rival UCLA hire New Mexico coach Steve Alford Saturday. USC has missed out on Memphis’ Josh Pastner, VCU’s Shaka Smart, Butler’s Brad Stevens, and Pittsburgh’s Jamie Dixon, all of whom were considered candidates and have decided to stay at their respective schools.
According to the report, Syracuse’s Mike Hopkins also remains a candidate for the job.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 1
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)