Mar 30, 2013, 12:38 AM EDT
Michigan State trailed Duke by one at halftime in the Sweet 16 matchup in the Midwest Region.
In the second half, though, Duke kicked up the defensive pressure and limited the Spartans offensive as Duke rolled 71-61 and will meet No. 1 overall seed Louisville in the Midwest Regional final on Sunday at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.
Seth Curry was on fire shooting 8-for-17, 6-for-9 from behind the arc, en route to a game-high 29 points. But the defense in the last 20 minutes was what helped the Blue Devils advance. Michigan State entered the game with the advantage on the board with Adreian Payne and Derrick Nix inside, and that proved to be true as Sparty outrebounded Duke 33-26 and 8-4 on the offensive glass. However, Duke made it tough for the tandem inside to get anything going offensively.
Both Payne and Nix shot 3-for-10. Payne had 14 points, half of those came from the line, and grabbed nine rebounds. Nix, who did sit out with foul trouble in the second half, ended with nine points and 10 boards. With the inside presence was being held in check, Gary Harris also struggled shooting with 2-for-11 for six points in the loss.
To start the second half, Michigan State got a bucket from Nix and a Payne slam within the first two minutes. The Spartans didn’t convert on a field goal for six minutes when Harris connected on a layup. Harris’ score was the last field goal for almost nine-minute span. Michigan State had seven of its 10 turnovers in the second half also didn’t help matched with the offensive struggles.
Michigan State had it to seven at 63-56 with two minutes to go, but the Spartans had already dug themselves into a hole.
Jul 7, 2015, 5:16 PM EDT
Memphis loses its top scorer.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
The No. 1 player from 2010 turned into one of the biggest busts in recent memory.
Jul 7, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
See, he’s just a creepy fanboy like the rest of us!
Jul 7, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Michigan State will be hosting Florida, with a return game in Gainesville in two years.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
The Jayhawks … err, Americans … are now 3-0 in the event.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)