Mar 30, 2013, 5:42 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
The name Flip Saunders has been bandied about by those watching the Minnesota coaching search. Saunders, who played for the Gophers, was an assistant for his alma mater, and led the Timberwolves for ten years, has been a favorite of boosters.
According to Andy Katz, Minnesota AD Norwood Teague made the offer and was rejected today.
Source: Minnesota offered the job to ESPN analyst/former NBA coach Flip Saunders but he has declined the offer from his alma mater.
— Andy Katz (@ESPNAndyKatz) March 30, 2013
With most of the big names out of the running for the Minnesota job, we may see Teague go after some high-profile assistants. When Teague was at VCU, he mined the assistant ranks for the likes of Anthony Grant and Shaka Smart, to great effect. Having made the expected moves, perhaps now he will feel free to pursue the next big thing instead of the current big thing.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)