Mar 30, 2013, 5:42 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
The name Flip Saunders has been bandied about by those watching the Minnesota coaching search. Saunders, who played for the Gophers, was an assistant for his alma mater, and led the Timberwolves for ten years, has been a favorite of boosters.
According to Andy Katz, Minnesota AD Norwood Teague made the offer and was rejected today.
Source: Minnesota offered the job to ESPN analyst/former NBA coach Flip Saunders but he has declined the offer from his alma mater.
— Andy Katz (@ESPNAndyKatz) March 30, 2013
With most of the big names out of the running for the Minnesota job, we may see Teague go after some high-profile assistants. When Teague was at VCU, he mined the assistant ranks for the likes of Anthony Grant and Shaka Smart, to great effect. Having made the expected moves, perhaps now he will feel free to pursue the next big thing instead of the current big thing.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)