Mar 30, 2013, 5:42 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
The name Flip Saunders has been bandied about by those watching the Minnesota coaching search. Saunders, who played for the Gophers, was an assistant for his alma mater, and led the Timberwolves for ten years, has been a favorite of boosters.
According to Andy Katz, Minnesota AD Norwood Teague made the offer and was rejected today.
Source: Minnesota offered the job to ESPN analyst/former NBA coach Flip Saunders but he has declined the offer from his alma mater.
— Andy Katz (@ESPNAndyKatz) March 30, 2013
With most of the big names out of the running for the Minnesota job, we may see Teague go after some high-profile assistants. When Teague was at VCU, he mined the assistant ranks for the likes of Anthony Grant and Shaka Smart, to great effect. Having made the expected moves, perhaps now he will feel free to pursue the next big thing instead of the current big thing.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)