Mar 30, 2013, 3:28 PM EST
Western Kentucky will no longer be a member of the Sun Belt Conference and will instead move to Conference USA in 2014, Jeremy Fowler of CBSSports.com is reporting.
The Hilltoppers will reportedly take the place of Tulsa, which is reportedly set to move to the soon-to-be-renamed Big East. The addition of Western Kentucky adds to the list of schools that have joined Conference USA recently, including Florida Atlantic and Middle Tennessee.
Western Kentucky men’s basketball finished 20-16 overall this past season and 10-10 in the Sun Belt. The Hilltoppers won the conference tournament, which earned it an automatic bid into the NCAA tournament. Once in, WKU gave No. 1-seeded Kansas a scare before ultimately falling to the Jayhawks, 64-57, in the Round of 64.
Ray Harper has served as the team’s head coach the past two seasons and led the Hilltoppers to two straight NCAA tournament berths.
With realignment continuing, Brett McMurphy of ESPN.com is reporting that Liberty and James Madison top the list of possible schools that could fill the void that has been left vacant in the Sun Belt by Western Kentucky’s move.
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)