Mar 31, 2013, 9:28 AM EDT
After dealing with the allegations of player mistreatment that surrounded former coach Billy Gillispie and enduring a 3-15 Big 12 finish this season, it appears Texas Tech might be going in another direction.
According to the Associated Press, Texas Tech is in talks with former Minnesota coach Tubby Smith to possibly bring him on board as the school’s next head coach. Smith was fired by the Gophers earlier this month after losing in the Round of 32 of the NCAA tournament to Florida.
Smith coached at Minnesota for six seasons, included in that were five 20-win seasons and three NCAA tournament appearances. This season the Gophers notched their first NCAA tournament win since 1997. That is the same year that the school made a Final Four, before it was wiped from the record books amidst an academic scandal.
According to the report, Smith could also be a candidate at New Mexico if the Lobos do not hire interim head coach Craig Neal. New Mexico is left without a permanent coach for the time being after Steve Alford left for UCLA on Saturday.
While Smith is in talks with Texas Tech, Minnesota continues its search for a replacement to fill the vacancy created by his firing. It was reported yesterday that former Minnesota Timberwolves coach Flip Saunders had turned down an offer, while targets that include VCU’s Shaka Smart and Iowa State’s Fred Hoiberg have both signed longterm extensions with their respective schools.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)