Mar 31, 2013, 9:28 AM EST
After dealing with the allegations of player mistreatment that surrounded former coach Billy Gillispie and enduring a 3-15 Big 12 finish this season, it appears Texas Tech might be going in another direction.
According to the Associated Press, Texas Tech is in talks with former Minnesota coach Tubby Smith to possibly bring him on board as the school’s next head coach. Smith was fired by the Gophers earlier this month after losing in the Round of 32 of the NCAA tournament to Florida.
Smith coached at Minnesota for six seasons, included in that were five 20-win seasons and three NCAA tournament appearances. This season the Gophers notched their first NCAA tournament win since 1997. That is the same year that the school made a Final Four, before it was wiped from the record books amidst an academic scandal.
According to the report, Smith could also be a candidate at New Mexico if the Lobos do not hire interim head coach Craig Neal. New Mexico is left without a permanent coach for the time being after Steve Alford left for UCLA on Saturday.
While Smith is in talks with Texas Tech, Minnesota continues its search for a replacement to fill the vacancy created by his firing. It was reported yesterday that former Minnesota Timberwolves coach Flip Saunders had turned down an offer, while targets that include VCU’s Shaka Smart and Iowa State’s Fred Hoiberg have both signed longterm extensions with their respective schools.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)