Mar 31, 2013, 9:28 AM EDT
After dealing with the allegations of player mistreatment that surrounded former coach Billy Gillispie and enduring a 3-15 Big 12 finish this season, it appears Texas Tech might be going in another direction.
According to the Associated Press, Texas Tech is in talks with former Minnesota coach Tubby Smith to possibly bring him on board as the school’s next head coach. Smith was fired by the Gophers earlier this month after losing in the Round of 32 of the NCAA tournament to Florida.
Smith coached at Minnesota for six seasons, included in that were five 20-win seasons and three NCAA tournament appearances. This season the Gophers notched their first NCAA tournament win since 1997. That is the same year that the school made a Final Four, before it was wiped from the record books amidst an academic scandal.
According to the report, Smith could also be a candidate at New Mexico if the Lobos do not hire interim head coach Craig Neal. New Mexico is left without a permanent coach for the time being after Steve Alford left for UCLA on Saturday.
While Smith is in talks with Texas Tech, Minnesota continues its search for a replacement to fill the vacancy created by his firing. It was reported yesterday that former Minnesota Timberwolves coach Flip Saunders had turned down an offer, while targets that include VCU’s Shaka Smart and Iowa State’s Fred Hoiberg have both signed longterm extensions with their respective schools.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 0
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)