Apr 1, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
Gary Harris missed two games earlier this season with a shoulder injury, and while the former high school football star played well late in the season for Michigan State, there is a chance that the freshman may have to go under the knife this offseason. From the Detroit Free Press:
Izzo said Harris will hear several opinions regarding the next course of action. Surgery is a possibility. If Harris and the team and the doctors elect that, the freshman will miss three or four months in recovery.
That would be unfortunate, but it may be necessary. We all saw how Harris reacted when he got hit in the Sweet 16 against Duke.
The bigger shame is that this injury could end up stunting some of his development. The offseason is when basketball players get better, and the year between their freshmen and sophomore campaigns is usually when the biggest jump is made. If Harris is rehabbing from shoulder surgery all summer, that’s not a good thing.
But if he needs the surgery to get back to 100%, it’s a necessary move.
Harris averaged 12.9 points and shot 41.1% from three this season with the bum shoulder. Imagine what he can do healthy.
“You haven’t seen the Gary Harris I recruited yet,” Izzo said after Friday’s loss.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Why Duke’s road win at Virginia was so shocking 3
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)
- Jerian Grant turns back fans trying to storm the floor after Duke win (GIF) (4)