Apr 1, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
Gary Harris missed two games earlier this season with a shoulder injury, and while the former high school football star played well late in the season for Michigan State, there is a chance that the freshman may have to go under the knife this offseason. From the Detroit Free Press:
Izzo said Harris will hear several opinions regarding the next course of action. Surgery is a possibility. If Harris and the team and the doctors elect that, the freshman will miss three or four months in recovery.
That would be unfortunate, but it may be necessary. We all saw how Harris reacted when he got hit in the Sweet 16 against Duke.
The bigger shame is that this injury could end up stunting some of his development. The offseason is when basketball players get better, and the year between their freshmen and sophomore campaigns is usually when the biggest jump is made. If Harris is rehabbing from shoulder surgery all summer, that’s not a good thing.
But if he needs the surgery to get back to 100%, it’s a necessary move.
Harris averaged 12.9 points and shot 41.1% from three this season with the bum shoulder. Imagine what he can do healthy.
“You haven’t seen the Gary Harris I recruited yet,” Izzo said after Friday’s loss.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)