Apr 1, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Gary Harris missed two games earlier this season with a shoulder injury, and while the former high school football star played well late in the season for Michigan State, there is a chance that the freshman may have to go under the knife this offseason. From the Detroit Free Press:
Izzo said Harris will hear several opinions regarding the next course of action. Surgery is a possibility. If Harris and the team and the doctors elect that, the freshman will miss three or four months in recovery.
That would be unfortunate, but it may be necessary. We all saw how Harris reacted when he got hit in the Sweet 16 against Duke.
The bigger shame is that this injury could end up stunting some of his development. The offseason is when basketball players get better, and the year between their freshmen and sophomore campaigns is usually when the biggest jump is made. If Harris is rehabbing from shoulder surgery all summer, that’s not a good thing.
But if he needs the surgery to get back to 100%, it’s a necessary move.
Harris averaged 12.9 points and shot 41.1% from three this season with the bum shoulder. Imagine what he can do healthy.
“You haven’t seen the Gary Harris I recruited yet,” Izzo said after Friday’s loss.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)