Apr 1, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
Gary Harris missed two games earlier this season with a shoulder injury, and while the former high school football star played well late in the season for Michigan State, there is a chance that the freshman may have to go under the knife this offseason. From the Detroit Free Press:
Izzo said Harris will hear several opinions regarding the next course of action. Surgery is a possibility. If Harris and the team and the doctors elect that, the freshman will miss three or four months in recovery.
That would be unfortunate, but it may be necessary. We all saw how Harris reacted when he got hit in the Sweet 16 against Duke.
The bigger shame is that this injury could end up stunting some of his development. The offseason is when basketball players get better, and the year between their freshmen and sophomore campaigns is usually when the biggest jump is made. If Harris is rehabbing from shoulder surgery all summer, that’s not a good thing.
But if he needs the surgery to get back to 100%, it’s a necessary move.
Harris averaged 12.9 points and shot 41.1% from three this season with the bum shoulder. Imagine what he can do healthy.
“You haven’t seen the Gary Harris I recruited yet,” Izzo said after Friday’s loss.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Jan 29, 2015, 10:57 PM EST
Ike Nwamu scored 20 points in the Bears’ 75-72 overtime win over Chattanooga, but should he have two (or three) more points to his credit?
Jan 29, 2015, 9:38 PM EST
Providence’s Kris Dunn posted the program’s first triple-double since 2006, and UMass held off Dayton in Amherst.
Jan 29, 2015, 8:44 PM EST
The third year of the event means an improved schedule, with all ten games being played on one day.
Bradley’s leading scorer one of three players facing disciplinary action following incident Thursday morning
Jan 29, 2015, 6:57 PM EST
Warren Jones is averaging a team-best 13.8 points per game for Bradley, which has lost six of its last seven games.
Jan 29, 2015, 5:46 PM EST
Leland King led Brown in scoring and was also tied for the team lead in rebounds per game.
Jan 29, 2015, 4:42 PM EST
Rasheed Sulaimon played 12 minutes in the Blue Devils’ loss at No. 8 Notre Dame Wednesday night.
Jan 29, 2015, 4:15 PM EST
The Eastern Washington guard has received more attention nationally in recent weeks, and it’s well-deserved.
Jan 29, 2015, 3:28 PM EST
At the very least, he’s the most valuable player in the country.
Jan 29, 2015, 2:30 PM EST
Donnie Tyndall’s trail of destruction in Hattiesburg continues to grow.
Jan 29, 2015, 1:09 PM EST
Melo Trimble vs. D’Angelo Russell will be worth the two hours.
Jan 29, 2015, 11:49 AM EST
That hashtag, though.
Jan 29, 2015, 11:14 AM EST
It looks like T.J.’s got jokes.
Jan 29, 2015, 10:04 AM EST
Cottrill was once ranked above Shabazz Napier and Aaron Craft, among many others.
Jan 29, 2015, 9:08 AM EST
Rysheed Jordan averages 13.4 points.
Jan 29, 2015, 12:14 AM EST
I love this move.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:24 PM EST
Rhode Island moved to 14-5 overall and 6-2 in Atlantic 10 play with the win over Fordham.
Jan 28, 2015, 10:52 PM EST
The Huskies will be short one perimeter option when they take on Cincinnati Thursday night.
Jan 28, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
Jerian Grant was the headliner for the Fighting Irish, but he had plenty of help as they erased a ten-point second half deficit.
Jan 28, 2015, 9:37 PM EST
The night is only getting started.
Jan 28, 2015, 6:25 PM EST
Nine uncommitted players, with Duke and (get this) LSU leading the way with two each.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 10
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (10)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)