Apr 1, 2013, 5:35 PM EST
Illinois State forward Jon Ekey will transfer from the school.
The news came from The Pantagraph’s Jim Benson. Ekey was one of the Redbirds’ top forwards, teaming with Jackie Carmichael up front.
Ekey, who will be a senior next season, averaged 6.4 points and 4.2 rebounds this year for Illinois State. He’ll have one season of eligibility remaining and it’s unclear if he’s eligible for the graduate transfer waiver. He’s been at Illinois State the past four years, redshirting as a freshman during the 2009-10 season. If I had to bet money, I’d say he will be eligible for said graduate transfer waiver. If not, he’ll be headed to a non-NCAA Division I school of his choice.
The 6-7 Ekey’s scoring production dropped this season — going from nine points per game last season to just over six — but his rebounding prowess has stayed the same his entire career. The Independence, Mo. native has averaged at least four boards per game all three seasons he’s played. He played in 33 games, starting 18 this season.
Ekey scored in double figures just once after the turn of the new year, an 11-point performance in a loss at Bradley. He scored in double figures in nine of the teams’ first 13 games this year.
With Carmichael, leading scorer Tyler Brown and John Wilkins — who averaged 6.7 points per game — all exhausting their eligibility, this is a serious blow to the Redbirds hopes next season. Ekey would no doubt be one of the premiere forwards for Illinois State and a senior leader. Johnny Hill (7.7 points, 3.9 rebounds, 49.4-percent field goal percentage) and Allen Bryant (8.6 points, 47-of-152 on threes) return next year, but Ekey would’ve most likely started up front.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
Feb 28, 2015, 9:27 PM EST
All the bubble winners and losers from Saturday’s college hoops action.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:42 PM EST
With the loss Texas drops to 1-11 in games against teams in the RPI Top 50.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:35 PM EST
No. 1 Kentucky moved to 29-0, and No. 6 Villanova came back to win at Xavier.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:03 PM EST
The Cyclones lost at home against Baylor and then lost at Kansas State.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:01 PM EST
Kentucky has now won 46 SEC titles, and this group looks poised to add more hardware to the trophy case before the season concludes.
Feb 28, 2015, 5:13 PM EST
Having just seven scholarship players hasn’t kept the Flyers from playing a major role in the Atlantic 10 race.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:48 PM EST
The Shockers are once again champions of the Valley.
Feb 28, 2015, 3:45 PM EST
Kansas will be without Cliff Alexander against Texas on Saturday.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:55 PM EST
Jake Layman didn’t want to get dunked on.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:21 PM EST
Robbie Berwick is not going to like seeing this highlight.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Auburn will be without second-leading scorer Antoine Mason as he deals with the death of his father.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
Marist’s Khallid Hart made the game-winning layup with 1.5 seconds left for the win.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
A huge Saturday with 150 games and a lot of bubble action.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:17 AM EST
Here’s the rundown from Friday night.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:20 PM EST
An off-campus altercation back in 2010 led to a year-long suspension for the Villanova forward.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:15 PM EST
Jim Boeheim goes back almost nine years to describe Rakeem Christmas’ importance to this year’s team.
Feb 27, 2015, 7:20 PM EST
The starting guard has missed the last 11 games.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:00 PM EST
This isn’t the first time he’s done this in a game.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:45 PM EST
The Vandy coach was quick to apology following last night’s incident.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:25 PM EST
Derrick Walton Jr. hasn’t played in just over a month, but he’s still bothered by an issue with his right foot.
- Bubble Banter: St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 11 Wichita State, No. 19 Baylor among winners in games matching ranked teams 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)