Apr 1, 2013, 9:42 AM EST
If you don’t know the story of LaQuinton Ross, he’s one of the most intriguing players in the country.
The 6-foot-8 forward was once considered the best basketball player in his class, considered by many to be a future NBA all-star and a sure-fire lottery pick one day. But as his high school career continued, he slowly but surely dropped in the recruiting rankings before eventually ending up at Ohio State as an afterthought in their 2012 recruiting class.
Academic issues forced Ross to sit out the first semester, and since Thad Matta’s rotation had already been established, he played little more than garbage time throughout much of the season.
It would have been enough to get a lot of kids in this day and age to transfer, but Ross wasn’t going anywhere. He decided to stick it out at Ohio State, and Matta decided to stick it out with Ross even when he didn’t play well early in the season, and it paid off for both parties. Ross had his coming out party in the NCAA tournament, scoring 53 points in Ohio State’s last three games and hitting the game-winning three against Arizona, reminding the nation just how talented he can be.
And while he renewed interest from NBA scouts, Ross appears to be leaning towards returning to school.
“I’m coming back (to Ohio State) next year,” Ross said. “Right now, I really haven’t thought about next season. I really haven’t thought about that. I’ve only been focused on this year.”
If he does end up returning, Ross will find his way onto quite a few breakout star lists.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- You Make The Call: Did Marcus Paige get fouled on North Carolina’s last possession? (17)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Big Ten looking into idea of making freshmen ineligible for competition in football, men’s basketball (11)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (11)