Apr 1, 2013, 3:36 PM EST
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
According to a report from the AP, Tubby Smith has agreed to terms with Texas Tech to become the next head coach at the school:
Tubby Smith has agreed to terms to become the head coach at Texas Tech, sources tell AP.
— Jon Krawczynski (@APkrawczynski) April 1, 2013
But according to Texas Tech, this report is not true:
Texas Tech has NOT reached an agreement with Tubby Smith to be next hoops coach.Current reports are inaccurate.
— Blayne Beal (@BlayneBeal) April 1, 2013
Smith would be quite a culture change at Tech. After hiring Bobby Knight, his son Pat Knight and then Billy Gillispie, Texas Tech received more bad publicity when it came out that Chris Walker, the interim head coach that took over after Gillispie’s disastrous tenure, had royally screwed over a player named Trency Jackson. If you’ve forgotten, an oversight by Tech’s academic staff led to Jackson being ruled ineligible, and Walker didn’t inform Jackson he was ineligible until after he played him during the second semester.
But Chris Walker is also in a position to land a McDonald’s all-american named Keith Frazier.
Smith was fired by Minnesota after missing the NCAA tournament in three of his six seasons at the school. He won a game in the 2013 NCAA tournament. He also won a national title when he was at Kentucky.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)