Apr 1, 2013, 3:36 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
According to a report from the AP, Tubby Smith has agreed to terms with Texas Tech to become the next head coach at the school:
Tubby Smith has agreed to terms to become the head coach at Texas Tech, sources tell AP.
— Jon Krawczynski (@APkrawczynski) April 1, 2013
But according to Texas Tech, this report is not true:
Texas Tech has NOT reached an agreement with Tubby Smith to be next hoops coach.Current reports are inaccurate.
— Blayne Beal (@BlayneBeal) April 1, 2013
Smith would be quite a culture change at Tech. After hiring Bobby Knight, his son Pat Knight and then Billy Gillispie, Texas Tech received more bad publicity when it came out that Chris Walker, the interim head coach that took over after Gillispie’s disastrous tenure, had royally screwed over a player named Trency Jackson. If you’ve forgotten, an oversight by Tech’s academic staff led to Jackson being ruled ineligible, and Walker didn’t inform Jackson he was ineligible until after he played him during the second semester.
But Chris Walker is also in a position to land a McDonald’s all-american named Keith Frazier.
Smith was fired by Minnesota after missing the NCAA tournament in three of his six seasons at the school. He won a game in the 2013 NCAA tournament. He also won a national title when he was at Kentucky.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)
- Wake Forest dismissed senior point guard for rules violation (1)
- Is Louisville’s non-conference schedule weak by design? (1)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)