Apr 1, 2013, 3:36 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
According to a report from the AP, Tubby Smith has agreed to terms with Texas Tech to become the next head coach at the school:
Tubby Smith has agreed to terms to become the head coach at Texas Tech, sources tell AP.
— Jon Krawczynski (@APkrawczynski) April 1, 2013
But according to Texas Tech, this report is not true:
Texas Tech has NOT reached an agreement with Tubby Smith to be next hoops coach.Current reports are inaccurate.
— Blayne Beal (@BlayneBeal) April 1, 2013
Smith would be quite a culture change at Tech. After hiring Bobby Knight, his son Pat Knight and then Billy Gillispie, Texas Tech received more bad publicity when it came out that Chris Walker, the interim head coach that took over after Gillispie’s disastrous tenure, had royally screwed over a player named Trency Jackson. If you’ve forgotten, an oversight by Tech’s academic staff led to Jackson being ruled ineligible, and Walker didn’t inform Jackson he was ineligible until after he played him during the second semester.
But Chris Walker is also in a position to land a McDonald’s all-american named Keith Frazier.
Smith was fired by Minnesota after missing the NCAA tournament in three of his six seasons at the school. He won a game in the 2013 NCAA tournament. He also won a national title when he was at Kentucky.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)