Apr 1, 2013, 3:36 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
According to a report from the AP, Tubby Smith has agreed to terms with Texas Tech to become the next head coach at the school:
Tubby Smith has agreed to terms to become the head coach at Texas Tech, sources tell AP.
— Jon Krawczynski (@APkrawczynski) April 1, 2013
But according to Texas Tech, this report is not true:
Texas Tech has NOT reached an agreement with Tubby Smith to be next hoops coach.Current reports are inaccurate.
— Blayne Beal (@BlayneBeal) April 1, 2013
Smith would be quite a culture change at Tech. After hiring Bobby Knight, his son Pat Knight and then Billy Gillispie, Texas Tech received more bad publicity when it came out that Chris Walker, the interim head coach that took over after Gillispie’s disastrous tenure, had royally screwed over a player named Trency Jackson. If you’ve forgotten, an oversight by Tech’s academic staff led to Jackson being ruled ineligible, and Walker didn’t inform Jackson he was ineligible until after he played him during the second semester.
But Chris Walker is also in a position to land a McDonald’s all-american named Keith Frazier.
Smith was fired by Minnesota after missing the NCAA tournament in three of his six seasons at the school. He won a game in the 2013 NCAA tournament. He also won a national title when he was at Kentucky.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)