Apr 1, 2013, 10:54 PM EST
One night after one no.1 seed fell, UConn made sure they wouldn’t be the third of the tournament. As a result, they’re headed to another Final Four.
The Huskies took down no. 2 seed Kentucky 83-53 in the Bridgeport Regional final and earned a spot in their sixth-straight Final Four. And the game went exactly as the score implies.
Despite trailing 23-22 after an A’dia Mathies free throw for the Wildcats, UConn reeled off a 26-3 run over the final 9:07 of the first half to essentially seal the win going into halftime.
Five players finished in double-figures for UConn (33-4), who held Kentucky (30-6) to 30.6-percent shooting overall (19-of-62) and 25-percent (4-of-16) from three.
Brianna Stewart scored a game-high 21 points for the Huskies, who are in search of their eighth national title. Bria Hartley and Moriah Jefferson each chipped in 10 points off the bench.
UConn out-rebounded Kentucky 37-27 in the game as coach Geno Auriemma and the Huskies will make a 14th trip to the Final Four overall.
We had some parity last night with Louisville knocking off Baylor, the no.1-overall seed. But Auriemma and the Huskies right the women’s college basketball world. They just always seem to be there. And with no.1 seed Stanford dropping out in the Sweet 16 as well, it leaves UConn and Notre Dame, both from the Big East, as the last two no. 1 seeds remaining.
Stefanie Dolson finished with 11 rebounds and two points for UConn.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Kansas lost, but Jayhawk fans should be happy after the Colorado game 4
- Colorado needs game-winner to serve as a catalyst for Askia Booker (VIDEO) 0
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again 3
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Figuring out the ACC 0
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games 4
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Kansas lost, but Jayhawk fans should be happy after the Colorado game (4)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)