Apr 2, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
Sean Miller has added another piece to an already loaded roster for 2013, as Aaron Gordon, a top five talent and the most athletic player in the Class of 2013, committed to Arizona this afternoon.
“I hope Tucson is celebrating because I’m about to be an Arizona Wildcat,” the 6-foot-9 forward said at a press conference on Tuesday. Gordon picked the Wildcats over Oregon, Washington and Kentucky. You can browse through his Rivals profile here.
Gordon joins a recruiting class that already includes fellow McDonalds All-American Rondae Jefferson, a 6-foot-7 playmaker at the small forward spot, and four-star shooting guard Elliot Pitts. What’s more impressive, however, is the roster that Gordon will be joining at Arizona.
Solomon Hill, Kevin Parrom and Mark Lyons will all be graduating, which will not only be a blow to Arizona’s perimeter attack, but it will take a toll on the leadership on that team. Hill and Parrom, in particular, were veterans that have been through it all with the Wildcats.
But seniors may end up being the only think Sean Miller is missing next season.
His back court is impressive, with Duquesne transfer TJ McConnell, one of the most underrated point guards in the country as a sophomore, will be ready to start after sitting out last season as a transfer, and he’ll be joined by junior Nick Johnson, sophomore Gabe York, senior Jordin Mayes and Pitts in the back court.
It’s scarier up front. Gordon and Jefferson will join a group that already includes Kaleb Tarczewski, Grant Jerrett, Brandon Ashley and Angelo Chol.
That’s a ridiculous amount of talent.
Arizona will be in the conversation with Kentucky and Duke as the preseason No. 1 team in the country next season.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed 8
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Creighton’s Doug McDermott scores his 3,000th point (VIDEO) 0
- Oregon’s big win over No. 3 Arizona caps impressive regular season turnaround 1
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (8)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)