Apr 2, 2013, 10:12 AM EST
Andy Enfield got hired by USC because he won two games in the NCAA tournament as a No. 15 seed.
There’s no disputing that.
If Georgetown had beaten Florida Gulf Coast, or if Dunk City had gotten slotted in Duke’s region instead of the Hoyas, Enfield would still be at Florida Gulf Coast. No one would know just how beautiful the school’s campus is. No one would have seen how much fun Enfield’s free-wheeling, up-tempo style of basketball is. No one would care about Enfield’s past employment on Wall Street or in the NBA.
Hell, no one would even know Enfield’s name. FGCU would simply be that team where the coach married a Maxim model, and even that would have been old news by now. Three weeks is an eternity in internet time.
So yes, Enfield got a head coaching gig in the Pac-12 because he won two games in the NCAA tournament as a No. 15 seed. But before you go crushing this hire, there are two points that need to be made:
1) Enfield isn’t just a flash in the pan. He’s been at the NBA level. He owned his own company as a shot doctor. He was a shooting coach with the Milwaukee Bucks and a member of Rick Pitino’s staff in Boston. He has NBA connections. He was also an assistant coach at Florida State, which means he’s got experience recruiting to the high-major level.
Perhaps the most important thing to note here is that FGCU became a full-fledged Division I member on August 11, 2011. Within 15 months, Enfield had beaten Miami. Within 19 months, he had not only made the NCAA tournament, but he had reached the Sweet 16. Do you realize how difficult it is to start a program at the Division I level?
2) Enfield’s brand of basketball is fun. It’s fun to watch and it’s fun to play. And when you’re competing against the Lakers, the Clippers (Lob City) and UCLA for fans — both in the seats and eyeballs on TV — in a town like LA, where sports aren’t exactly a priority, you need something that will attract fans.
And recruits. Kahlil Dukes, a USC commit from Connecticut, is excited about Enfield’s arrival. I’m sure that there are some local kids that will enjoy Enfield’s style of play, as well, particularly when you consider that Steve Alford, who is Ben Howland 2.0, is coaching across town.
Is this hire a risk?
Of course it is.
Enfield’s hasn’t proven he can have sustained success. He doesn’t have any west coast connections. He finished second in the Atlantic Sun in the regular season. The last time that a hire like this was made, Providence canned Keno Davis in three years.
But I still like the move, especially when you consider that the job had already been turned down by the likes of Josh Pastner and Jamie Dixon. USC actually interviewed Tim Floyd; it’s not like they picked Enfield over Shaka Smart or Brad Stevens.
Enfield might be gone in three years. He may never get USC into the NCAA tournament. This hire could end up being a complete bust.
Then again, how did the Kevin O’Neill era work out?
USC isn’t a basketball powerhouse. They can afford a high-upside, risky hire.
Why not swing for the fences?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Nov 28, 2014, 9:37 PM EST
What do you think? Watch the play and let us know in the comment section.
Nov 28, 2014, 8:10 PM EST
Just another alley-oop for Slam Thompson.
Nov 28, 2014, 6:34 PM EST
The Badgers were led by Frank Kaminsky with 17 points; 13 of which came in the second half.
Nov 28, 2014, 5:58 PM EST
Here are the teams competing in the top early-season tournament.
Nov 28, 2014, 5:55 PM EST
The 2014 Barclays Center Classic will air a doubleheader on Friday night, live on NBC Sports Network. Coverage on NBCSN begins at 7 p.m. EST
Nov 28, 2014, 4:54 PM EST
Butler, picked seventh in the Big East, left the Battle 4 Atlantis with a pair of important victories.
Nov 28, 2014, 2:55 PM EST
Kansas scored 82 points in their win over Tennessee but they also committed 16 turnovers as they continue to figure each other out offensively.
Nov 28, 2014, 1:07 PM EST
Aaron Thomas and Devon Bookert both suffered injuries last weekend that have kept them sidelined.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:25 AM EST
Dez Wells made just five of his 20 field goal attempts against Iowa State. This injury may be the reason why.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:24 AM EST
Providence better focus on Yale and not get caught looking forward to their game at No. 1 Kentucky on Sunday.
Nov 28, 2014, 2:01 AM EST
North Carolina did a better job on the boards while also forcing 23 turnovers in their win over UCLA.
Nov 27, 2014, 9:53 PM EST
Penn State will return to the school’s original colors- black and pink- for their next two games.
Nov 27, 2014, 6:34 PM EST
This is hilarious.
Nov 27, 2014, 6:08 PM EST
Koenig and Dukan combined to score 18 points in the second half for the second-ranked Badgers.
Nov 27, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
Khwan Fore’s averaging 7.5 minutes per game in two appearances this season.
Nov 27, 2014, 3:54 PM EST
This might have been the best feast week game of all time.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:56 PM EST
Perkins was kicked in the face by a Georgia player.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
It’s not just football that’s on today.
Nov 27, 2014, 3:14 AM EST
A lot is riding on this season for St. John’s. Can they consistently be the ‘grown up’ team they claimed to be on Wednesday night?
Nov 27, 2014, 3:07 AM EST
Two Big East teams made statements in the Bahamas, and No. 3 Arizona won the Maui Invitational.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)