Apr 2, 2013, 10:12 AM EDT
Andy Enfield got hired by USC because he won two games in the NCAA tournament as a No. 15 seed.
There’s no disputing that.
If Georgetown had beaten Florida Gulf Coast, or if Dunk City had gotten slotted in Duke’s region instead of the Hoyas, Enfield would still be at Florida Gulf Coast. No one would know just how beautiful the school’s campus is. No one would have seen how much fun Enfield’s free-wheeling, up-tempo style of basketball is. No one would care about Enfield’s past employment on Wall Street or in the NBA.
Hell, no one would even know Enfield’s name. FGCU would simply be that team where the coach married a Maxim model, and even that would have been old news by now. Three weeks is an eternity in internet time.
So yes, Enfield got a head coaching gig in the Pac-12 because he won two games in the NCAA tournament as a No. 15 seed. But before you go crushing this hire, there are two points that need to be made:
1) Enfield isn’t just a flash in the pan. He’s been at the NBA level. He owned his own company as a shot doctor. He was a shooting coach with the Milwaukee Bucks and a member of Rick Pitino’s staff in Boston. He has NBA connections. He was also an assistant coach at Florida State, which means he’s got experience recruiting to the high-major level.
Perhaps the most important thing to note here is that FGCU became a full-fledged Division I member on August 11, 2011. Within 15 months, Enfield had beaten Miami. Within 19 months, he had not only made the NCAA tournament, but he had reached the Sweet 16. Do you realize how difficult it is to start a program at the Division I level?
2) Enfield’s brand of basketball is fun. It’s fun to watch and it’s fun to play. And when you’re competing against the Lakers, the Clippers (Lob City) and UCLA for fans — both in the seats and eyeballs on TV — in a town like LA, where sports aren’t exactly a priority, you need something that will attract fans.
And recruits. Kahlil Dukes, a USC commit from Connecticut, is excited about Enfield’s arrival. I’m sure that there are some local kids that will enjoy Enfield’s style of play, as well, particularly when you consider that Steve Alford, who is Ben Howland 2.0, is coaching across town.
Is this hire a risk?
Of course it is.
Enfield’s hasn’t proven he can have sustained success. He doesn’t have any west coast connections. He finished second in the Atlantic Sun in the regular season. The last time that a hire like this was made, Providence canned Keno Davis in three years.
But I still like the move, especially when you consider that the job had already been turned down by the likes of Josh Pastner and Jamie Dixon. USC actually interviewed Tim Floyd; it’s not like they picked Enfield over Shaka Smart or Brad Stevens.
Enfield might be gone in three years. He may never get USC into the NCAA tournament. This hire could end up being a complete bust.
Then again, how did the Kevin O’Neill era work out?
USC isn’t a basketball powerhouse. They can afford a high-upside, risky hire.
Why not swing for the fences?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
May 4, 2015, 11:54 AM EDT
Ryan has set records for his ability to raise money at events like this.
May 4, 2015, 11:27 AM EDT
Curry burst onto the national scene with a huge 2008 NCAA tournament run.
May 4, 2015, 10:51 AM EDT
LeGerald Vick could end up moving into the class of 2015.
May 3, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Maia led the Ivy League in rebounding in each of his three seasons playing at Brown.
May 3, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT
Notre Dame’s first commitment in the 2016 class is an important one.
May 3, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
The Aggies are on the board in 2016, and they’ve landed one of the top distributors in the class.
May 3, 2015, 8:25 PM EDT
Nigel Hayes believes that each individual school should be allowed to decide how much they give an athlete should they be allowed to pay them in the future.
May 3, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT
The Texans will hold its rookie minicamp next weekend.
May 3, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Jones hasn’t played a college game yet, but when he arrives on campus at UNLV he’ll be one of the best dunkers in college basketball.
May 3, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Former Colorado guard Dustin Thomas is heading to Arkansas.
May 3, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan will be around for at least a few more years, it seems.
May 3, 2015, 1:55 PM EDT
Gonzaga landed a huge transfer in former Washington guard Nigel Williams-Goss.
May 3, 2015, 1:20 PM EDT
Louisville head coach Rick Pitino’s charter jet use is examined in a new report.
May 3, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
Former Old Dominion forward Richard Ross is continuing to pursue the NFL and has been invited to a mini-camp.
May 3, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
North Carolina commit Jalek Felton is fun to watch.
May 2, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
After being dismissed from Oregon, Dominic Artis spent a year at Diablo Valley CC in California but did not play basketball.
May 2, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT
Nwamu averaged 15.1 points per game and shot 37.4 percent from three at Mercer last season.
May 2, 2015, 7:41 PM EDT
Dakota Slaughter didn’t see much playing time at Alabama, but that could change at UTPA.
May 2, 2015, 5:36 PM EDT
A high-level perimeter shooter, Williams can help a team that was lacking in that area in 2014-15.
May 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
ECU scholarship athletes in football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball will receive an extra $4,025 in scholarship money beginning August 1.
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 4
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 3
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? 11
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)