Apr 2, 2013, 11:36 PM EDT
On the same day that video of Rutgers coach Mike Rice physically confronting and swearing at players was leaked to the press, news has broken that sophomore guard Jerome Seagears would be transferring out of the program.
Brendan Prunty of NJ.com first reported the story, which also says that junior college transfer Vincent Garrett will be leaving the school.
Seagears played major minutes in his two seasons at Rutgers, averaging 6.5 points and 2.6 assists per game this past season. His best game of the year came on Jan. 27 in a loss to Connecticut when he scored 21 points.
There is no way to directly tie the events of the tapes leaked Tuesday to the number of players leaving the Rutgers program, but Prunty points out the numbers:
Five players have transferred out of Rutgers in the last year: sophomore guard Malick Kone announced his intentions to leave last week while shooting guard Austin Carroll (American) and forward Gilvydas Biruta (Rhode Island) both left in the spring of 2012.
Rutgers finished this season with a 15-16 record, including 5-13 in the Big East.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)