Apr 2, 2013, 11:36 PM EDT
On the same day that video of Rutgers coach Mike Rice physically confronting and swearing at players was leaked to the press, news has broken that sophomore guard Jerome Seagears would be transferring out of the program.
Brendan Prunty of NJ.com first reported the story, which also says that junior college transfer Vincent Garrett will be leaving the school.
Seagears played major minutes in his two seasons at Rutgers, averaging 6.5 points and 2.6 assists per game this past season. His best game of the year came on Jan. 27 in a loss to Connecticut when he scored 21 points.
There is no way to directly tie the events of the tapes leaked Tuesday to the number of players leaving the Rutgers program, but Prunty points out the numbers:
Five players have transferred out of Rutgers in the last year: sophomore guard Malick Kone announced his intentions to leave last week while shooting guard Austin Carroll (American) and forward Gilvydas Biruta (Rhode Island) both left in the spring of 2012.
Rutgers finished this season with a 15-16 record, including 5-13 in the Big East.
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 3
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 1
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 6
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)