Apr 2, 2013, 11:36 PM EST
On the same day that video of Rutgers coach Mike Rice physically confronting and swearing at players was leaked to the press, news has broken that sophomore guard Jerome Seagears would be transferring out of the program.
Brendan Prunty of NJ.com first reported the story, which also says that junior college transfer Vincent Garrett will be leaving the school.
Seagears played major minutes in his two seasons at Rutgers, averaging 6.5 points and 2.6 assists per game this past season. His best game of the year came on Jan. 27 in a loss to Connecticut when he scored 21 points.
There is no way to directly tie the events of the tapes leaked Tuesday to the number of players leaving the Rutgers program, but Prunty points out the numbers:
Five players have transferred out of Rutgers in the last year: sophomore guard Malick Kone announced his intentions to leave last week while shooting guard Austin Carroll (American) and forward Gilvydas Biruta (Rhode Island) both left in the spring of 2012.
Rutgers finished this season with a 15-16 record, including 5-13 in the Big East.
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 0
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)