Apr 2, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
Louisville guard Kevin Ware has left an Indianapolis hospital after undergoing surgery to repair a compound fracture in his right leg that he suffered Sunday in a Cardinal win over Duke.
According to the Associated Press, Ware is headed back to Louisville’s campus and coach Rick Pitino would like him to travel with the team to the Final Four in Atlanta.
Ware suffered the injury during the first half of Louisville’s 85-63 Elite Eight win over Duke when he jumped to block a shot and came down awkwardly near the sideline. The severity of the injury drew an immediate emotional reaction from players on the Louisville bench and on social media. Pitino was seen holding back tears as Ware was taken to the locker room.
From the AP:
Pitino and his son, Richard, spent Monday at the hospital with Ware, who was pictured holding the championship trophy in his bed. Ware later posted a comment on Facebook saying, “the first step is always the hardest one to take” along with a photo of him on crutches.
Doctors have yet to clear Ware to travel with the team to the Final Four, despite the team’s desire to bring him along for the trip. He will be sidelined for around one year, according to reports. That long road back begins with rehab, but he seems to be off to a good start when judged by his attitude.
“When they took me off the court,” Ware told the Louisville Courier-Journal, “I heard so many cheers, and I’m like `When I’m out of surgery, there’s gonna be some good news.’ ”
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)