Apr 2, 2013, 12:09 AM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Reggie Theus is reportedly back in the college coaching game.
The former New Mexico State and Sacramento Kings coach will be the new head coach of the Cal State-Northridge, according to ESPN.com. He’s spent last season as head coach of the Los Angeles D-fenders of the NBA Developmental League.
In his two seasons as a collegiate head coach at New Mexico State, Theus was 41-23, including a berth in the 2007 NCAA Tournament.
Theus rose fast in the coaching ranks. After an assistant coaching stint at Louisville, Theus parlayed his two seasons in Las Cruces into a head coaching job with Sacramento that lasted a season-and-a-half. He spent time as an assistant with the Minnesota Timberwolves before taking over the D-fenders.
An Inglewood, Calif. native, Theus played three seasons at UNLV, going to the 1977 Final Four, following by a 13-year NBA career in which he averaged 18.5 points, 6.6 assists and 3.3 rebounds per game and was a two-time All-Star.
Northridge needs a shot of anything to revive the program. Theus may be it. The program has an NCAA Tournament appearance to its credit as recently as 2009, winning the Big West Conference tournament, but was also banned from postseason play for the 2011-12 season for low APR scores. The Matadors also made the Big Dance in 2001 out of the Big Sky.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)