Apr 2, 2013, 12:09 AM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Reggie Theus is reportedly back in the college coaching game.
The former New Mexico State and Sacramento Kings coach will be the new head coach of the Cal State-Northridge, according to ESPN.com. He’s spent last season as head coach of the Los Angeles D-fenders of the NBA Developmental League.
In his two seasons as a collegiate head coach at New Mexico State, Theus was 41-23, including a berth in the 2007 NCAA Tournament.
Theus rose fast in the coaching ranks. After an assistant coaching stint at Louisville, Theus parlayed his two seasons in Las Cruces into a head coaching job with Sacramento that lasted a season-and-a-half. He spent time as an assistant with the Minnesota Timberwolves before taking over the D-fenders.
An Inglewood, Calif. native, Theus played three seasons at UNLV, going to the 1977 Final Four, following by a 13-year NBA career in which he averaged 18.5 points, 6.6 assists and 3.3 rebounds per game and was a two-time All-Star.
Northridge needs a shot of anything to revive the program. Theus may be it. The program has an NCAA Tournament appearance to its credit as recently as 2009, winning the Big West Conference tournament, but was also banned from postseason play for the 2011-12 season for low APR scores. The Matadors also made the Big Dance in 2001 out of the Big Sky.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)