Apr 2, 2013, 12:09 AM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Reggie Theus is reportedly back in the college coaching game.
The former New Mexico State and Sacramento Kings coach will be the new head coach of the Cal State-Northridge, according to ESPN.com. He’s spent last season as head coach of the Los Angeles D-fenders of the NBA Developmental League.
In his two seasons as a collegiate head coach at New Mexico State, Theus was 41-23, including a berth in the 2007 NCAA Tournament.
Theus rose fast in the coaching ranks. After an assistant coaching stint at Louisville, Theus parlayed his two seasons in Las Cruces into a head coaching job with Sacramento that lasted a season-and-a-half. He spent time as an assistant with the Minnesota Timberwolves before taking over the D-fenders.
An Inglewood, Calif. native, Theus played three seasons at UNLV, going to the 1977 Final Four, following by a 13-year NBA career in which he averaged 18.5 points, 6.6 assists and 3.3 rebounds per game and was a two-time All-Star.
Northridge needs a shot of anything to revive the program. Theus may be it. The program has an NCAA Tournament appearance to its credit as recently as 2009, winning the Big West Conference tournament, but was also banned from postseason play for the 2011-12 season for low APR scores. The Matadors also made the Big Dance in 2001 out of the Big Sky.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)