Apr 2, 2013, 6:09 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
According to Mark Singelais of the Times Union, Jimmy Patsos has been hired as the new head coach at Siena.
Patsos joins the Saints from Loyola (MD), where he spent the past nine seasons after more than a decade on Gary Williams’ staff at Maryland.
Patsos took over a program that was decimated and led the Greyhounds to the NCAA tournament last season. They participated in the CIT this year. But with Loyola heading to the Patriot League next year, Patsos wanted to stay in the MAAC.
Patsos beat out a number quality candidates for the job, including Andy Toole from Robert Morris and VCU assistant Mike Rhoades. Why is Siena such a sought-after job? There’s a passionate fan base that fills up their arena and an athletic department that cares about being good at basketball. That’s important when you’re playing at the mid-major level, and a major reason why the Saints have been rumored to be headed to a number of different conferences in realignment.
Patsos was hired to replace Mitch Buonaguro, who won just 35 games in his three-year tenure at Siena.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Fixing his flaws: How Kris Dunn has attacked the two weaknesses in his game 0
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- Marquette coaches discuss daily ‘noon ball’ tradition (VIDEO) (2)
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? (2)
- Wichita State lands transfer guard from Texas A&M (2)