Apr 2, 2013, 6:09 PM EST
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
According to Mark Singelais of the Times Union, Jimmy Patsos has been hired as the new head coach at Siena.
Patsos joins the Saints from Loyola (MD), where he spent the past nine seasons after more than a decade on Gary Williams’ staff at Maryland.
Patsos took over a program that was decimated and led the Greyhounds to the NCAA tournament last season. They participated in the CIT this year. But with Loyola heading to the Patriot League next year, Patsos wanted to stay in the MAAC.
Patsos beat out a number quality candidates for the job, including Andy Toole from Robert Morris and VCU assistant Mike Rhoades. Why is Siena such a sought-after job? There’s a passionate fan base that fills up their arena and an athletic department that cares about being good at basketball. That’s important when you’re playing at the mid-major level, and a major reason why the Saints have been rumored to be headed to a number of different conferences in realignment.
Patsos was hired to replace Mitch Buonaguro, who won just 35 games in his three-year tenure at Siena.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)