Apr 2, 2013, 6:09 PM EST
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
According to Mark Singelais of the Times Union, Jimmy Patsos has been hired as the new head coach at Siena.
Patsos joins the Saints from Loyola (MD), where he spent the past nine seasons after more than a decade on Gary Williams’ staff at Maryland.
Patsos took over a program that was decimated and led the Greyhounds to the NCAA tournament last season. They participated in the CIT this year. But with Loyola heading to the Patriot League next year, Patsos wanted to stay in the MAAC.
Patsos beat out a number quality candidates for the job, including Andy Toole from Robert Morris and VCU assistant Mike Rhoades. Why is Siena such a sought-after job? There’s a passionate fan base that fills up their arena and an athletic department that cares about being good at basketball. That’s important when you’re playing at the mid-major level, and a major reason why the Saints have been rumored to be headed to a number of different conferences in realignment.
Patsos was hired to replace Mitch Buonaguro, who won just 35 games in his three-year tenure at Siena.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)