Apr 2, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday was a busy news day. Kevin Ware began his recovery, West Virginia lost a trio of players, NC-State lost two, Tubby didn’t stay fired for long, and the maestro of #DunKCity is moving to SoCal.
let’s hit the links.
Read of the Day:
This is the best story on Kevin Ware yet. His team is crying, his parents are panicking, and he just wants his team to win the game. Great stuff. Read it. (Courier Journal)
VIDEO: Seth Davis, Dan Patrick discuss coverage of Kevin Ware’s injury: CBS’ handling of the Kevin Ware injury has been discussed at length since Sunday afternoon. Most of the media agree that while the footage was disturbing, CBS handled themselves extremely well.
Is this the most upset-filled NCAA Tournament ever? A professor at DePaul University came up with a formula to decipher whether or not this is the most upset-filled tournament of all time.
College Basketball Talk provides the essentials on all four Final Four teams. Want to know how they got there and if they can win? the following previews have the answer. Louisville Cardinals, Wichita State Shockers, Syracuse Orange, and Michigan Wolverines.
Wichita State, better when they’re the underdog? Based on the regular season results, the Shockers tend to do much better when they are the underdogs, which they will be when they face Louisville this weekend in Atlanta.
2012-2013 AP All-American teams released: Trey Burke, and Otto Porter headline the first team. Victor Oladipo, Doug McDermott and Kelly Olynyk round out the squad.
Observations & Insight:
– A collection of the best and worst (Most of them are “worst”) Jon Rothstein comparisons. (Daly Dose of Hoops)
- Great stuff from Jeff Eisenberg on what Kevin Ware’s injury meant to guys like Derrick Roland, a former-Texas A&M forward who suffered a similar injury against Washington back in 2009. (The Dagger)
- Jeff Goodman provides his insight on the draft status of the game’s top undecided players. (Eye on College Basketball)
- CBS has no regrets about their handling of the Kevin Ware injury, and they shouldn’t. The network handled the aftermath with caution and precision. (Fox Sports)
- Jeff Goodman, as he is to do, dropped a bombshell yesterday afternoon. He reported that Ed Rush, the Pac-12 coordinator of basketball officials, has been investigated by the conference for comments he made about Arizona head coach Sean Miller. (Eye on College Basketball)
- But it appears like Rush has been cleared of any accusations. (NBC Sports)
– It looks like Andy Enfield has parlayed his tournament success at FGCU into a gig as head coach at Southern Cal. (Yahoo Sports)
- Tubby Smith will be named the new head coach at Texas Tech just a week after being fired from Minnesota. (Lubbock Avalanche-Journal)
- Former Sacramento Kings head coach Reggie Theus has been named as new head coach at Cal State Northridge. (ESPN)
- Three players, including standout guard Jabarie Hinds, have announced that they will transfer out of West Virginia. (Rant Sports)
- Freshman guard Rodney Purvis is transferring out of North Carolina State, becoming the ninth player to transfer out of the program since 2010. (Charlotte Observer)
- Speaking of NC-State, forward C.J. Leslie has announced that he will declare for the NBA Draft. (Fox News)
- Sensational freshman forward Anthony Bennett is leaving UNLV and will enter the NBA draft. (Las Vegas Sun)
- Highly touted recruit Aaron Gordon will make his college placement announcement following tonight’s McDonald’s All-American Game. (AZ Desert Swarm)
- The NCAA announced the pool of referees working the Final Four. Karl Hess and John Higgins “headline” the list. (Fox Sports)
- Coaching legends Gene Keady and Rollie Massimino headline the 2013 class of inductees into the College Basketball Hall of Fame. (ESPN)
- Former-Toledo head coach Bob Nichols passed away over the weekend. The 82-year old was the all-time wins leader in the Mid-American Conference. (Yahoo Sports)
Picture of the Day:
Kevin Ware got to hold the Midwest regional title while he recovered from surgery to fix his broken leg. (College Basketball Talk)
Andrew Wiggins’ perfect-score dunk at last night’s McDonald’s All-American Slam Dunk Contest
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)