Apr 3, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Head coach Jeff Jones will leave American University and take over in the same capacity at Old Dominion, David Teel of the Daily Press is reporting.
According to the report, the hire will be formally announced at a press conference on Thursday.
Jones has spent the last 13 seasons at American, amassing an overall record of 212-182. He helped the Eagles to four 20-win seasons in the past six, despite a 10-20 record this past season. American made back-to-back NCAA tournament appearances in 2007-08 and 2008-09. The 07-08 appearance was the first in the school’s history.
Jones is a graduate of Virginia and was the point guard for the 1981 Cavalier team that reached the Final Four with star Ralph Sampson. He went on to become the youngest coach in ACC history when he was hired at his alma mater in 1990 at the age of 29.
He will take over for Blaine Taylor, who had been battling personal troubles and was fired midway through the 2012-13 season. He was replaced on an interim basis by assistant Jim Corrigan. Corrigan was in final contention for the full-time position, Teel reports.
Old Dominion finished this past season with an overall record of 5-25, including 3-15 in the CAA.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)