Apr 3, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Head coach Jeff Jones will leave American University and take over in the same capacity at Old Dominion, David Teel of the Daily Press is reporting.
According to the report, the hire will be formally announced at a press conference on Thursday.
Jones has spent the last 13 seasons at American, amassing an overall record of 212-182. He helped the Eagles to four 20-win seasons in the past six, despite a 10-20 record this past season. American made back-to-back NCAA tournament appearances in 2007-08 and 2008-09. The 07-08 appearance was the first in the school’s history.
Jones is a graduate of Virginia and was the point guard for the 1981 Cavalier team that reached the Final Four with star Ralph Sampson. He went on to become the youngest coach in ACC history when he was hired at his alma mater in 1990 at the age of 29.
He will take over for Blaine Taylor, who had been battling personal troubles and was fired midway through the 2012-13 season. He was replaced on an interim basis by assistant Jim Corrigan. Corrigan was in final contention for the full-time position, Teel reports.
Old Dominion finished this past season with an overall record of 5-25, including 3-15 in the CAA.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)