Apr 3, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Head coach Jeff Jones will leave American University and take over in the same capacity at Old Dominion, David Teel of the Daily Press is reporting.
According to the report, the hire will be formally announced at a press conference on Thursday.
Jones has spent the last 13 seasons at American, amassing an overall record of 212-182. He helped the Eagles to four 20-win seasons in the past six, despite a 10-20 record this past season. American made back-to-back NCAA tournament appearances in 2007-08 and 2008-09. The 07-08 appearance was the first in the school’s history.
Jones is a graduate of Virginia and was the point guard for the 1981 Cavalier team that reached the Final Four with star Ralph Sampson. He went on to become the youngest coach in ACC history when he was hired at his alma mater in 1990 at the age of 29.
He will take over for Blaine Taylor, who had been battling personal troubles and was fired midway through the 2012-13 season. He was replaced on an interim basis by assistant Jim Corrigan. Corrigan was in final contention for the full-time position, Teel reports.
Old Dominion finished this past season with an overall record of 5-25, including 3-15 in the CAA.
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)