Apr 3, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
By now, you’ve probably heard: Rutgers men’s basketball coach Mike Rice has been fired over the video that was given to ESPN’s Outside The Lines by Eric Murdoch, a former NBA player and Rutgers staff member.
That video, which can be seen here, depicts Rice acting in an unacceptable manner towards the players he coaches. He pushes them, he tosses them around by the jersey, he fires basketballs at them and, in addition to a constant string of obscenities, Rice also uses a gay slur at one of his players.
It would be surprising if Athletic Director Tim Pernetti were able to keep his job when this is all said and done as well. Back in December, Pernetti suspended Rice for three games — ultimately costing him about a quarter of his yearly salary in fines — as a result of his conduct. Pernetti was made aware of the accusations last summer and saw the video in November. The fact that he didn’t fire Rice means that he determined this to be acceptable behavior.
When you’re a public figure, public perception plays a major role in your job, and right now, the perception of Pernetti and Rice couldn’t be any worse. Everyone, from the Governor of New Jersey to LeBron James, has weighed in, and the opinion is a consensus: neither man’s behavior was in anyway acceptable. Mike Rice didn’t last 24 hours after the video of his practices surfaced, and it may cost his AD his job as well.
Here’s the question that everyone wants to know: just how many coaches run practices like this? Plenty. Among them:
- Bob Knight famously lost his job at Indiana after multiple incidents involving his handling of players.
- Billy Gillispie lost his job as Texas Tech’s men’s basketball coach when a report came out about just how brutal he was in practice.
- Former Utah coach was accused of verbal abuse by at least one player.
- D-II coach John O’Connor resigned after he was caught on tape striking a player to the ground.
- There were even people that Cal men’s basketball coach Mike Montgomery fired for this shove of a player back in January.
(This doesn’t include college football coaches such as Woody Hayes, whose temper cost him his job, or Texas Tech coach Mike Leach who reportedly ordered him to stand in a darkened garage after suffering a concussion.)
The bottom line? This kind of behavior — bullying, intimidation and what borders on physical assault — is no longer acceptable in the coaching ranks. Anyone that feels the need to do so to motivate his players knows full well that he’s risking his job.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
I think it’s also worth noting that both Rice and Gillispie were coaching teams that stunk. Maybe abuse isn’t the best coaching technique, eh?
Basketball coaches can curse with the best of them. Listening to the way they talk to the referees would make George Carlin blush, so imagine how they speak to their players — their subordinates — when the spotlight is gone and ESPN isn’t taping. You can sit in on a Mick Cronin practice and learn five new cuss words a day.
But the physical nature?
Throwing basketballs are players from point blank range?
Kicking them? Pushing them? Tossing them around?
That’s not common. And while I’m sure there are places that it does happen, I wonder how many of those coaches are reconsidering their behavior after watching what has happened with Rice and Gillispie.
Sadly, I have a feeling that quite a few practice tapes bit the dust last night, as well.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
San Diego turned to a former player to lead the basketball program.
Mar 31, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Head coach Ernie Kent is losing three first-year players after his first season at the helm.
Mar 31, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
It appears Travis Ford will stay at Oklahoma State for now.
Mar 31, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
Could Murray State guard Cameron Payne enter the NBA Draft?
Mar 31, 2015, 6:40 PM EDT
UNLV officially loses Rashad Vaughn to the NBA Draft.
Mar 31, 2015, 5:35 PM EDT
Rhode Island landed an impact transfer on Tuesday.
Mar 31, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Georgetown takes a major hit with the loss of D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera.
Mar 31, 2015, 3:22 PM EDT
Barry Hinson is not happy about losing the players he brought into the program.
Mar 31, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
It wasn’t as good as the last two years, but there were still some impressive dunks.
Mar 31, 2015, 1:55 PM EDT
Teams that won the first meeting have won three of the four Final Four/title game rematches, with Duke (1990-91) being the lone exception.
Mar 31, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Mickey is the second player from LSU to declare this month.
Mar 31, 2015, 1:19 PM EDT
This is nasty.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:09 PM EDT
Bobby Knight would probably not approve of that.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:42 AM EDT
My advice: Hedge that bet, sir!
Mar 31, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
Lewis will have some well known suitors this offseason.
Mar 31, 2015, 9:57 AM EDT
Barnes spent the last 17 seasons at Texas.
Mar 30, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
UConn, Notre Dame, South Carolina and Maryland make up the 2015 women’s Final Four.
Mar 30, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Some great names highlight this list.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:24 PM EDT
Williams was the leading scorer and rebounder for the Tigers this season.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Nebraska forward Walter Pitchford is giving up basketball for his senior season.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)