Apr 3, 2013, 10:52 AM EST
After a dominating four years at the college level, Baylor’s Brittney Griner is all but a lock to be the top overall pick in this year’s WNBA draft. Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban pointed out the obvious in saying he’d draft her, too. Well, it would be obvious if Cuban were talking about the WNBA, but he’s not.
In a conversation with the Dallas Morning News, he suggested he would take Griner with one of his team’s picks in the 2013 NBA Draft.
“If Brittney Griner can play, we’ll take her with our second-round pick,” Cuban said in the context of talking about under-the-radar picks. “I don’t care.”
He went on to elaborate, again via the Dallas Morning News:
Cuban said he’s serious about the possibility of bringing in Baylor’s 6-8 star now that her college eligibility is done. “If she’s the best on the board, we’ll take her,” Cuban said. “If we have the 60th pick and she’s on the board, we still might take her.”
“I’ve thought about it already,” he said. “Would I do it? And right now, I’d lean toward yes, just to see if she can do it. “You never know until you give someone a chance. And it’s not like the likelihood of any late-50s draft pick has a good chance of making it. If we had tryouts, I would have no problem inviting her to work out and see how she did. No problem whatsoever.”
Is Cuban just talking, or would he seriously consider it? Could Griner make an NBA roster or see minutes on the floor? She responded via Twitter:
Mark Cuban may draft Brittney Griner m.espn.go.com/general/story?… …I would hold my own! Lets do it
— Brittney Griner (@Brittney4Griner) April 3, 2013
See more here via CSNWashington.com.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 0
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 1
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 0
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 2
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives (8)