Apr 3, 2013, 10:52 AM EDT
After a dominating four years at the college level, Baylor’s Brittney Griner is all but a lock to be the top overall pick in this year’s WNBA draft. Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban pointed out the obvious in saying he’d draft her, too. Well, it would be obvious if Cuban were talking about the WNBA, but he’s not.
In a conversation with the Dallas Morning News, he suggested he would take Griner with one of his team’s picks in the 2013 NBA Draft.
“If Brittney Griner can play, we’ll take her with our second-round pick,” Cuban said in the context of talking about under-the-radar picks. “I don’t care.”
He went on to elaborate, again via the Dallas Morning News:
Cuban said he’s serious about the possibility of bringing in Baylor’s 6-8 star now that her college eligibility is done. “If she’s the best on the board, we’ll take her,” Cuban said. “If we have the 60th pick and she’s on the board, we still might take her.”
“I’ve thought about it already,” he said. “Would I do it? And right now, I’d lean toward yes, just to see if she can do it. “You never know until you give someone a chance. And it’s not like the likelihood of any late-50s draft pick has a good chance of making it. If we had tryouts, I would have no problem inviting her to work out and see how she did. No problem whatsoever.”
Is Cuban just talking, or would he seriously consider it? Could Griner make an NBA roster or see minutes on the floor? She responded via Twitter:
Mark Cuban may draft Brittney Griner m.espn.go.com/general/story?… …I would hold my own! Lets do it
— Brittney Griner (@Brittney4Griner) April 3, 2013
See more here via CSNWashington.com.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)