Apr 3, 2013, 8:34 PM EST
NC State guard Rodney Purvis was granted his release from the Wolfpack after announcing his intent to transfer, but not without a condition. It is often the case that players can be barred from transferring within a conference, but NC State has disallowed him from transferring to Missouri and Cincinnati as well.
Why? Because the Wolfpack are planning to add those two schools to their non-conference schedule and would not want to face him when that time comes.
We’ve seen this situation before. Head coach Bo Ryan got a good deal of negative press when Wisconsin kept Jarrod Uthoff from transferring to certain schools. St. Joe’s coach Phil Martelli went through the same process when he reportedly denied the transfer waiver of Todd O’Brien.
These types of stories seem to draw a good deal of controversy, perhaps because of the restrictions that are already placed on players even before schools get involved with where they are allowed to transfer. As the coaching carousel spins and coaches jump from bench to bench in the off-season without skipping a beat, players are forced to sit out a season.
So should Purvis be allowed to transfer wherever he pleases? He will likely make an impact when he does land. He averaged 8.3 points and 2.4 rebounds per game in his freshman season at NC State.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)