Apr 3, 2013, 8:34 PM EST
NC State guard Rodney Purvis was granted his release from the Wolfpack after announcing his intent to transfer, but not without a condition. It is often the case that players can be barred from transferring within a conference, but NC State has disallowed him from transferring to Missouri and Cincinnati as well.
Why? Because the Wolfpack are planning to add those two schools to their non-conference schedule and would not want to face him when that time comes.
We’ve seen this situation before. Head coach Bo Ryan got a good deal of negative press when Wisconsin kept Jarrod Uthoff from transferring to certain schools. St. Joe’s coach Phil Martelli went through the same process when he reportedly denied the transfer waiver of Todd O’Brien.
These types of stories seem to draw a good deal of controversy, perhaps because of the restrictions that are already placed on players even before schools get involved with where they are allowed to transfer. As the coaching carousel spins and coaches jump from bench to bench in the off-season without skipping a beat, players are forced to sit out a season.
So should Purvis be allowed to transfer wherever he pleases? He will likely make an impact when he does land. He averaged 8.3 points and 2.4 rebounds per game in his freshman season at NC State.
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 0
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 2
- Senior starters once again carry No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing most important part: His One Shining Moment 2
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 2
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 2
- After win at No. 18 SMU, No. 11 Louisville is once again peaking in March 0
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)