Apr 3, 2013, 8:34 PM EDT
NC State guard Rodney Purvis was granted his release from the Wolfpack after announcing his intent to transfer, but not without a condition. It is often the case that players can be barred from transferring within a conference, but NC State has disallowed him from transferring to Missouri and Cincinnati as well.
Why? Because the Wolfpack are planning to add those two schools to their non-conference schedule and would not want to face him when that time comes.
We’ve seen this situation before. Head coach Bo Ryan got a good deal of negative press when Wisconsin kept Jarrod Uthoff from transferring to certain schools. St. Joe’s coach Phil Martelli went through the same process when he reportedly denied the transfer waiver of Todd O’Brien.
These types of stories seem to draw a good deal of controversy, perhaps because of the restrictions that are already placed on players even before schools get involved with where they are allowed to transfer. As the coaching carousel spins and coaches jump from bench to bench in the off-season without skipping a beat, players are forced to sit out a season.
So should Purvis be allowed to transfer wherever he pleases? He will likely make an impact when he does land. He averaged 8.3 points and 2.4 rebounds per game in his freshman season at NC State.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)