Apr 3, 2013, 9:26 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Following the video leak scandal that ultimately led to the end of Mike Rice’s coaching tenure at Rutgers, the Scarlet Knights are already looking for a replacement and could have their man.
According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, Rutgers is targeting Rhode Island coach Dan Hurley as a possible candidate to fill the vacancy. Hurley was hired by Rhode Island in March of 2012 and led the Rams in the process of rebuilding this season. URI finished 8-21 on the season, but Hurley has helped to make inroads on the recruiting trail by landing Top 100 prospect E.C. Matthews and New York City native Hassan Martin.
Hurley comes from a renowned basketball family and played basketball at Seton Hall himself. His brother, Bobby, was the point guard of a Duke program that reached three Final Fours in his time with the Blue Devils and their father, Bob, Sr., is the head coach of the highly regarded St. Anthony High School basketball program in New Jersey.
Bobby spent one season with Dan as an assistant at Rhode Island and took the job last month to become the next head coach at Buffalo. If Dan were offered the job and Rutgers and took it, it could be a major victory for a program that is currently in a good deal of turmoil.
Hurley coached at St. Benedict’s Prep (N.J.) and turned the program into a national powerhouse. He is well-liked in the region and has proven that he can recruit in the talent-rich New York-metro area. He has also proven that he can quickly build a program, as he did in a short time at Wagner and is on track to do at Rhode Island.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (3)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)