Apr 3, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
That right there is video of Akeem Richmond (at the 1:15 mark) hitting a three at the buzzer to give East Carolina the championship of the CollegeInsider.com Tournament, beating Weber State 77-74 in Ogden, UT.
The Pirates blew a seven point halftime lead and found themselves down 71-65 with just under three minutes left, but they used a 9-3 run to set up Richmond’s shot. Weber State’s 9-19 performance from the charity stripe — including a missed free throw with 17 seconds left — played a major role in that comeback.
Miguel Paul led the way with 23 points for the Pirates, while Maurice Kemp chipped in with 20. Scott Bamforth had 19 for the Wildcats, who lost their first game at home since Dec. 15th. Their winning streak in Ogden reached 14 games.
ECU finished the season 23-12, a school-record for wins for the program.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 0
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 2
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 0
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 0
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- 2014 Big East Tournament Preview: Can Villanova finally beat Creighton? 0
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)