Apr 4, 2013, 10:25 PM EST
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
With a move to Conference USA on the horizon Old Dominion filled its head coaching vacancy on Thursday, introducing former American head coach Jeff Jones as the new leader of the program.
Jones, who led American to two NCAA tournament appearances (three postseason appearances in all) during his 13 seasons at the Patriot League school, has 21 seasons of head coaching experience.
Jones spent eight seasons at his alma mater, Virginia, with the Cavaliers making six postseason appearances (five NCAA, one NIT) during his time in Charlottesville.
With the ODU program coming off of a five-win (5-25, 3-13 CAA) season this hire is an important one, and in Jones athletic director Dr. Wood Selig feels that he’s got the right man to turn things around.
“I have immense respect for Jeff Jones and his ability to lead a highly successful Division I men’s basketball program. Coach Jones is one of the most respected head basketball coaches in the country,” Selig said in a statement released by the school. “His head coaching career has been characterized by winning seasons and successful post season play. I know our student-athletes will benefit greatly from Jeff’s experiences as a college student athlete and head coach.
“He will run a model program from which our university and Hampton Roads community will take considerable pride. I enjoyed my working relationship with Jeff during our time together at UVA and I am very excited about the opportunity to join forces again on behalf of ODU.”
Jones replaces interim head coach Jim Corrigan, who took over after the school fired Blaine Taylor in early February. One of Jones’ first tasks will be to find a replacement for DeShawn Painter (13.0 ppg, 8.4 rpg), who led the team in both scoring and rebounding in 2012-13.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 9
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 15
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (17)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)