Apr 4, 2013, 10:57 AM EST
Turns out that fine and suspension won’t be hurting Mike Rice’s bank account all that much.
The former Rutgers men’s basketball coach, who was fired on Wednesday morning after a videotape showing verbal and physical abuse of his players was aired on ESPN, earned a $100,000 bonus for remaining employed throughout the season.
Rutgers is contactually obligated to pay the bonus as well, because Rice wasn’t fired until the season was over.
Rice was fined $50,000 and suspended without pay for three weeks back in December.
It will be interesting to see if a big deal is made out of this. Rutgers doesn’t really have a choice here. The bonus was in Rice’s contract. He made it through the season. It’s quite simple, really. It’s not exactly great PR given what caused Rice’s contract to be terminated, but Rutgers would be hit with a lawsuit if they decided not to pay him.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)