Apr 4, 2013, 10:57 AM EDT
Turns out that fine and suspension won’t be hurting Mike Rice’s bank account all that much.
The former Rutgers men’s basketball coach, who was fired on Wednesday morning after a videotape showing verbal and physical abuse of his players was aired on ESPN, earned a $100,000 bonus for remaining employed throughout the season.
Rutgers is contactually obligated to pay the bonus as well, because Rice wasn’t fired until the season was over.
Rice was fined $50,000 and suspended without pay for three weeks back in December.
It will be interesting to see if a big deal is made out of this. Rutgers doesn’t really have a choice here. The bonus was in Rice’s contract. He made it through the season. It’s quite simple, really. It’s not exactly great PR given what caused Rice’s contract to be terminated, but Rutgers would be hit with a lawsuit if they decided not to pay him.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)