Apr 4, 2013, 10:57 AM EST
Turns out that fine and suspension won’t be hurting Mike Rice’s bank account all that much.
The former Rutgers men’s basketball coach, who was fired on Wednesday morning after a videotape showing verbal and physical abuse of his players was aired on ESPN, earned a $100,000 bonus for remaining employed throughout the season.
Rutgers is contactually obligated to pay the bonus as well, because Rice wasn’t fired until the season was over.
Rice was fined $50,000 and suspended without pay for three weeks back in December.
It will be interesting to see if a big deal is made out of this. Rutgers doesn’t really have a choice here. The bonus was in Rice’s contract. He made it through the season. It’s quite simple, really. It’s not exactly great PR given what caused Rice’s contract to be terminated, but Rutgers would be hit with a lawsuit if they decided not to pay him.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 0
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)