Apr 4, 2013, 7:36 PM EST
T.J. Brown, a former assistant coach at San Diego who acted as a middleman in a game-fixing scandal that included former USD point guard Brandon Johnson, was sentenced to 12 months in prison Thursday afternoon.
Brown’s lawyers argued that their client should only receive probation while federal prosecutors wanted him to serve 30 months behind bars.
According to prosecutors Brown acted was the connection between bookmakers, bettors and the student-athletes themselves.
“Mr. Brown was the linchpin in the whole episode,” U.S. District Judge Anthony Battaglia said Thursday. “If not for his relationship with Johnson, none of this would have gotten off the ground.”
Brown pleaded guilty without a formal plea agreement, admitting to introducing a current member of the USD team to bettors in 2011 in an unsuccessful attempt to fix games after Johnson’s departure.
Johnson, the school’s all-time leading scorer, would be the only player implicated in the scandal. For his role Johnson was sentenced to six months in prison on March 1.
According to the San Diego Union-Tribune report there were at least nine co-conspirators involved. Brown will begin serving his sentence on June 5.
Photo credit: University of San Diego Athletics
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)