Apr 4, 2013, 4:54 PM EST
The AP announced their annual awards on Thursday afternoon.
Michigan point guard Trey Burke was named National Player of the Year after averaging 18.8 points and 6.8 assists while leading a Wolverines team loaded with freshmen to the Final Four.
Jim Larranaga was named National Coach of the Year, and it’s difficult to argue with that pick as well. Miami was barely considered a tournament team heading into the season, but they ended up winning the outright ACC regular season title and the ACC tournament title, earning a two-seed in the NCAA tournament.
It’s tough to argue with either choice. Burke was named the NBCSports.com National Player of the Year, and I firmly believe it really wasn’t all that close. Larranaga was a bit of a tougher decision, as St. Louis head coach Jim Crews and Georgetown head coach John Thompson III were also valid candidates. That said, it’s tough to argue with the success that Miami had this season and the success that program has had historically.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 0
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)