Apr 4, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Mike Rice was fired at Rutgers. Richard Pitino is the new head coach at Minnesota. The best high school players in the country played very little defense last night at the McDonald’s All-American game in Chicago. That and more in today’s T.M.M.
let’s hit the links.
Read of the Day:
Kevin Ware has become a national story. Prior to the grizzly injury, Ware was soft-spoken and often reserved. But under adverse circumstances the young guard is flourishing in the spotlight. (Yahoo Sports)
Observations & Insight:
– The Big East will now be known as The American Athletic Conference. Original stuff right there. (CBS Sports)
– Dunk City is not relocating to Southern California. It’s staying in Dunk City, Fla. (ESPN LA)
– Marshall Henderson wrote an apology letter to Ole Miss fans for some of his outlandish behavior. (Clarion Ledger)
– Did Old Dominion whiff on their head coaching hire? Bob Molinaro certainly thinks so. (Virginian-Pilot)
– Arizona-bound Aaron Gordon captured the MVP award last night at the McDonald’s All-American Game. (AZ Desert Swarm)
– Maxim’s historical list of the top-7 players to break out during March Madness. I’ll contest Kemba Walker being on this list. He didn’t “break out” during the NCAA tournament. He hit four game-winners during the regular season, won five-straight Big East tournament games, and broke Gary McGee’s ankles. (Maxim)
– George Mason defeated Santa Clara last night, setting up a decisive game three for the C.B.I championship. (Washington Post)
– Siena made a great hire in Jimmy Patsos. If they were looking for somebody who will win the press conference, they certainly got their guy. (Keepin’ Track of the MAAC)
– Louisville is selling t-shirts that honor Kevin Ware, and following negative press regarding the profit of t-shirts, the school announced that they will not be profiting from the production and sale of t-shirts. (WDRB.com)
Odds & Ends:
– Marshall Henderson is a good dude at heart. If he was actually the jerk he portrays himself as, would he really subject himself to a public dunk tank? (Busted Coverage)
– Andy Enfield, his supermodel wife, and USC song girls. Of course. (USA Today)
– Minnesota made a bold hire yesterday with the selection of Florida International’s Richard Pitino. While he only has one year of head coaching experience, he does have the pedigree for success. (Fox Sports North)
– Syracuse police will monitor the activity on Marshall Street during the Final Four games. The police want to take a proactive approach against couch fires. (Syracuse Post-Standard)
– The basketball gods have rewarded us with another season of Marshall Henderson. (Sports Illustrated)
– A list of ten potential candidates for the Rutgers head coaching spot. Danny Hurley, Tommy Amaker and John Giannini are just several of the potential candidates that the school reaches out to. (New Jersey Hoops Haven)
– NC-State got a dose a good news yesterday. T.J. Warren announced that he will return to Raleigh. This is a sigh of relief for Wolfpack fans, who already saw C.J. Leslie, Lorenzo Brown and Rodney Purvis leave school. Leslie and Brown are declaring for the draft and Purvis is transferring. (ACC Insider)
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir
Aug 31, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
Rick Pitino gives some candid thoughts on Louisville and Puerto Rico.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:52 PM EDT
With Monte’ Morris being a junior and Nick Noskowiak leaving the program, Iowa State needed a point guard in the 2016 class.
Aug 30, 2015, 8:41 PM EDT
These games against seasoned competition will help Michigan State in the tough Big Ten this season.
Aug 30, 2015, 7:27 PM EDT
Gbinije averaged 7.3 points and 2.1 rebounds per game at Afrobasket.
Aug 30, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT
Hill led the team in minutes played last season, and it’s been tough to keep him out of the gym this summer despite attempts to get him to spend some time resting.
Aug 30, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Notre Dame has a bouncy freshman guard in Rex Pflueger.
Aug 30, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
Reid Travis is looking like a potential go-to scorer for the Cardinal this season after some strong outings in Europe.
Aug 30, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
Colorado State is having a rough go of getting great programs to play in their building.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Scottie Lindsey put one on a defender during Northwestern’s trip to Spain.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
According to the New York Post, Morton will go back to teaching full-time.
Aug 29, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
Michigan State scheduled games against three national teams preparing for next month’s Eurobasket championships (Russia, Italy and Georgia).
Aug 29, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
According to head coach Ray Harper, Kristaps Gluditis was regarded as one of the top shooters in Europe.
Aug 29, 2015, 4:39 PM EDT
Tillie is a skilled forward who will have the chance to contribute immediately in 2016-17 due to the eventual losses of Kyle Wiltjer and Przemek Karnowski (both are seniors this season).
Aug 29, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Theo Pinson makes a bold statement and backs it up by burying a tough shot.
Aug 29, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
Washington is losing another player as the team only returns two scholarship players from last season.
Aug 29, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
Michigan received some positive news as a key member of the 2014-15 season returned to the floor.
Aug 29, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Seventh Woods still has plenty of highlight plays up his sleeve.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Friday was photo day in Lawrence.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
The Spartans are now 1-1 on the trip.
Aug 28, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
It’s Joey van Zegeren’s first year with the Northwestern program.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)