Apr 4, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Mike Rice was fired at Rutgers. Richard Pitino is the new head coach at Minnesota. The best high school players in the country played very little defense last night at the McDonald’s All-American game in Chicago. That and more in today’s T.M.M.
let’s hit the links.
Read of the Day:
Kevin Ware has become a national story. Prior to the grizzly injury, Ware was soft-spoken and often reserved. But under adverse circumstances the young guard is flourishing in the spotlight. (Yahoo Sports)
Observations & Insight:
– The Big East will now be known as The American Athletic Conference. Original stuff right there. (CBS Sports)
– Dunk City is not relocating to Southern California. It’s staying in Dunk City, Fla. (ESPN LA)
– Marshall Henderson wrote an apology letter to Ole Miss fans for some of his outlandish behavior. (Clarion Ledger)
– Did Old Dominion whiff on their head coaching hire? Bob Molinaro certainly thinks so. (Virginian-Pilot)
– Arizona-bound Aaron Gordon captured the MVP award last night at the McDonald’s All-American Game. (AZ Desert Swarm)
– Maxim’s historical list of the top-7 players to break out during March Madness. I’ll contest Kemba Walker being on this list. He didn’t “break out” during the NCAA tournament. He hit four game-winners during the regular season, won five-straight Big East tournament games, and broke Gary McGee’s ankles. (Maxim)
– George Mason defeated Santa Clara last night, setting up a decisive game three for the C.B.I championship. (Washington Post)
– Siena made a great hire in Jimmy Patsos. If they were looking for somebody who will win the press conference, they certainly got their guy. (Keepin’ Track of the MAAC)
– Louisville is selling t-shirts that honor Kevin Ware, and following negative press regarding the profit of t-shirts, the school announced that they will not be profiting from the production and sale of t-shirts. (WDRB.com)
Odds & Ends:
– Marshall Henderson is a good dude at heart. If he was actually the jerk he portrays himself as, would he really subject himself to a public dunk tank? (Busted Coverage)
– Andy Enfield, his supermodel wife, and USC song girls. Of course. (USA Today)
– Minnesota made a bold hire yesterday with the selection of Florida International’s Richard Pitino. While he only has one year of head coaching experience, he does have the pedigree for success. (Fox Sports North)
– Syracuse police will monitor the activity on Marshall Street during the Final Four games. The police want to take a proactive approach against couch fires. (Syracuse Post-Standard)
– The basketball gods have rewarded us with another season of Marshall Henderson. (Sports Illustrated)
– A list of ten potential candidates for the Rutgers head coaching spot. Danny Hurley, Tommy Amaker and John Giannini are just several of the potential candidates that the school reaches out to. (New Jersey Hoops Haven)
– NC-State got a dose a good news yesterday. T.J. Warren announced that he will return to Raleigh. This is a sigh of relief for Wolfpack fans, who already saw C.J. Leslie, Lorenzo Brown and Rodney Purvis leave school. Leslie and Brown are declaring for the draft and Purvis is transferring. (ACC Insider)
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir
Aug 4, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Cheick Diallo was rated as the fifth-best player in the Class of 2015.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Jarvis Johnson was not cleared to play at Minnesota back in mid-June.
Aug 4, 2015, 7:38 PM EDT
The four-star point guard cut his list in half on Tuesday night.
Aug 4, 2015, 7:03 PM EDT
The games will be played August 11-16.
Aug 4, 2015, 5:24 PM EDT
The lawsuit stems from an alleged incident back in March of 2014.
Aug 4, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
The 6-foot-9 power forward becomes the third four-star recruit in the Class of 2016 to commit to the Cavaliers.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:01 PM EDT
Both teams will be ranked in the preseason top 15 this season.
Aug 4, 2015, 1:52 PM EDT
Xavier Stapleton is sitting out this season after transferring from Louisiana Tech.
Aug 4, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
The Miners have a lot to replace next season.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
West is one of the best mid-major players in the country.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:08 AM EDT
Those are some serious hops.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT
This kid isn’t even a sophomore yet.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT
There are two glaring weaknesses to Kris Dunn’s game. Here’s how he’s gone about trying to fix them this summer.
Aug 3, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
A cool documentary-style approach to the Under Armour Association in preparation for the Elite 24.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
Nebraska is hoping a four-game trip in Spain helps with their freshmen.
Aug 3, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
Baylor is losing a reserve forward to transfer.
Aug 3, 2015, 4:50 PM EDT
Mamadi Diakite, a four-star forward, could decide between three schools soon, per a report.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
Tony Carr is a four-star point guard that picked Penn State over Maryland, SMU and Providence.
Aug 3, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT
The investigation was conducted by an outside law firm and paid for by the university.
Aug 3, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
Alkins might be the best player from New York City since Lance Stephenson.
- Fixing his flaws: How Kris Dunn has attacked the two weaknesses in his game 0
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- Marquette coaches discuss daily ‘noon ball’ tradition (VIDEO) (2)
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? (2)
- Wichita State lands transfer guard from Texas A&M (2)