Apr 4, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
With playing time being scarce this season and that likely to be the case next season as well with Rice transfer Dylan Ennis becoming eligible, Villanova sophomore guard Achraf Yacoubou has decided to transfer.
The news was first reported by Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com. A native of the Bronx, Yacoubou averaged 2.9 points and 2.6 rebounds in 12 minutes per game this season.
In an interview by Adam Zagoria of SNY, Yacoubou stated that he’s interested in Pittsburgh, Saint Louis, Georgia Tech, Miami and UNLV as possible destinations. With Ennis and incoming freshman wing Josh Hart entering the mix, Yacoubou noted that the playing time he hoped for was unlikely to be available.
“I averaged the highest 3-point percentage and field goal efficiency and was the best defensive player on the team and I also played well against Louisville and Syracuse and when I played 25 minutes I led the team in points and rebounds,” he said. “But after the last Syracuse game I ended up averaging 12 minutes and I wanted to play more but I wasn’t.
“Since there are the freshmen coming in and they are mostly guards I felt it was best for me to leave.”
Following Villanova’s 65-60 loss at Notre Dame on January 30 Yacoubou played double-digit minutes just once, receiving 16 minutes (eight points, three rebounds) in a 68-40 win over South Florida on Feburary 9. Yacoubou did not play in three of Villanova’s final six games, one of which being their NCAA tournament loss to North Carolina.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)