Apr 4, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
With playing time being scarce this season and that likely to be the case next season as well with Rice transfer Dylan Ennis becoming eligible, Villanova sophomore guard Achraf Yacoubou has decided to transfer.
The news was first reported by Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com. A native of the Bronx, Yacoubou averaged 2.9 points and 2.6 rebounds in 12 minutes per game this season.
In an interview by Adam Zagoria of SNY, Yacoubou stated that he’s interested in Pittsburgh, Saint Louis, Georgia Tech, Miami and UNLV as possible destinations. With Ennis and incoming freshman wing Josh Hart entering the mix, Yacoubou noted that the playing time he hoped for was unlikely to be available.
“I averaged the highest 3-point percentage and field goal efficiency and was the best defensive player on the team and I also played well against Louisville and Syracuse and when I played 25 minutes I led the team in points and rebounds,” he said. “But after the last Syracuse game I ended up averaging 12 minutes and I wanted to play more but I wasn’t.
“Since there are the freshmen coming in and they are mostly guards I felt it was best for me to leave.”
Following Villanova’s 65-60 loss at Notre Dame on January 30 Yacoubou played double-digit minutes just once, receiving 16 minutes (eight points, three rebounds) in a 68-40 win over South Florida on Feburary 9. Yacoubou did not play in three of Villanova’s final six games, one of which being their NCAA tournament loss to North Carolina.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)