Apr 4, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
With playing time being scarce this season and that likely to be the case next season as well with Rice transfer Dylan Ennis becoming eligible, Villanova sophomore guard Achraf Yacoubou has decided to transfer.
The news was first reported by Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com. A native of the Bronx, Yacoubou averaged 2.9 points and 2.6 rebounds in 12 minutes per game this season.
In an interview by Adam Zagoria of SNY, Yacoubou stated that he’s interested in Pittsburgh, Saint Louis, Georgia Tech, Miami and UNLV as possible destinations. With Ennis and incoming freshman wing Josh Hart entering the mix, Yacoubou noted that the playing time he hoped for was unlikely to be available.
“I averaged the highest 3-point percentage and field goal efficiency and was the best defensive player on the team and I also played well against Louisville and Syracuse and when I played 25 minutes I led the team in points and rebounds,” he said. “But after the last Syracuse game I ended up averaging 12 minutes and I wanted to play more but I wasn’t.
“Since there are the freshmen coming in and they are mostly guards I felt it was best for me to leave.”
Following Villanova’s 65-60 loss at Notre Dame on January 30 Yacoubou played double-digit minutes just once, receiving 16 minutes (eight points, three rebounds) in a 68-40 win over South Florida on Feburary 9. Yacoubou did not play in three of Villanova’s final six games, one of which being their NCAA tournament loss to North Carolina.
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 5
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 9
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- Duke’s Jabari Parker will discuss options with Mike Krzyzewski next week 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (8)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)