Apr 4, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
With playing time being scarce this season and that likely to be the case next season as well with Rice transfer Dylan Ennis becoming eligible, Villanova sophomore guard Achraf Yacoubou has decided to transfer.
The news was first reported by Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com. A native of the Bronx, Yacoubou averaged 2.9 points and 2.6 rebounds in 12 minutes per game this season.
In an interview by Adam Zagoria of SNY, Yacoubou stated that he’s interested in Pittsburgh, Saint Louis, Georgia Tech, Miami and UNLV as possible destinations. With Ennis and incoming freshman wing Josh Hart entering the mix, Yacoubou noted that the playing time he hoped for was unlikely to be available.
“I averaged the highest 3-point percentage and field goal efficiency and was the best defensive player on the team and I also played well against Louisville and Syracuse and when I played 25 minutes I led the team in points and rebounds,” he said. “But after the last Syracuse game I ended up averaging 12 minutes and I wanted to play more but I wasn’t.
“Since there are the freshmen coming in and they are mostly guards I felt it was best for me to leave.”
Following Villanova’s 65-60 loss at Notre Dame on January 30 Yacoubou played double-digit minutes just once, receiving 16 minutes (eight points, three rebounds) in a 68-40 win over South Florida on Feburary 9. Yacoubou did not play in three of Villanova’s final six games, one of which being their NCAA tournament loss to North Carolina.
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)