Apr 5, 2013, 12:24 PM EST
It’s been quite the weekend for Michigan point guard Trey Burke, and the Wolverines haven’t even played their Final Four matchup against Syracuse yet.
One day after being named National Player of the Year by the Associated Press the sophomore from Columbus, Ohio received two more individual honors. Burke was announced the winner of both the John R. Wooden and Oscar Robertson awards, with the latter being handed out by the United States Basketball Writers Association (USBWA).
In winning the Wooden Award Burke becomes the first Wolverine to win the award, and he’s the first winner from the Big Ten since Ohio State’s Evan Turner won the award in 2010.
Burke (2,808 points) beat out Indiana’s Victor Oladipo (2,718) in the closest Wooden Award race since Duke’s J.J. Redick finished with 72 more points than Gonzaga’s Adam Morrison in 2005.
Completing the top five in the Wooden Award voting were Creighton’s Doug McDermott, Georgetown’s Otto Porter Jr. and Duke’s Mason Plumlee.
As for the Oscar Robertson Award, Burke is the ninth sophomore to receive the USBWA’s highest individual honor. And he becomes the second Michigan player to be named Player of the Year by the USBWA, with the great Cazzie Russell being the first back in 1966.
The last sophomore to win the award was Oklahoma’s Blake Griffin back in 2009.
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)