Apr 5, 2013, 9:58 PM EDT
Tim Cluess may be the next coach on the move.
The Iona head coach is in negotiations with Hofstra to fill its coaching vacancy, according to Yahoo! Sports national columnist Dan Wetzel who tweeted it out on Friday night. Cluess played his college basketball at Hofstra in 1982-1983.
Cluess finished his third season with the Gaels winning the MAAC tournament title earning a second straight trip to the NCAA tournament before losing to Ohio State in the second round. During his stint at Iona he has amassed a 70-34 record, winning at least 20 games in each season.
If the Pride could land the alum, that would be a good pickup for a Hofstra program in much need of it. Hofstra dealt with multiple off-court instances that included players stealing $10,000 worth of laptops and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel being arrested on marijuana possession. Since head coach Mo Cassara was fired on Mar. 22, Hofstra has already lost three players, and also lost a commitment days before Cassara was let go.
Cluess had a high-power offense this past season at Iona led by Momo Jones. Iona ranked second in the nation in scoring at 80.7 points per game compared to Hofstra’s 58.5 points per game, good for 333rd in the nation.
Although Hofstra finished 7-25 (4-14 CAA) Cassara landed a solid incoming class thanks to his New England ties. Shooting guard Gervelle Kidd from Hargrave Military Academy (Va.) is signed while a trio from St. Thomas More (Conn.) — guards Amadi Udenyi and Marquise Moore and forward Gabe Levin — are also committed.
Sources say Iona’s Tim Cluess is in negations with Hofstra for its head coach position. Cluess played there
— Dan Wetzel (@DanWetzel) April 6, 2013
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)