Apr 5, 2013, 9:58 PM EDT
Tim Cluess may be the next coach on the move.
The Iona head coach is in negotiations with Hofstra to fill its coaching vacancy, according to Yahoo! Sports national columnist Dan Wetzel who tweeted it out on Friday night. Cluess played his college basketball at Hofstra in 1982-1983.
Cluess finished his third season with the Gaels winning the MAAC tournament title earning a second straight trip to the NCAA tournament before losing to Ohio State in the second round. During his stint at Iona he has amassed a 70-34 record, winning at least 20 games in each season.
If the Pride could land the alum, that would be a good pickup for a Hofstra program in much need of it. Hofstra dealt with multiple off-court instances that included players stealing $10,000 worth of laptops and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel being arrested on marijuana possession. Since head coach Mo Cassara was fired on Mar. 22, Hofstra has already lost three players, and also lost a commitment days before Cassara was let go.
Cluess had a high-power offense this past season at Iona led by Momo Jones. Iona ranked second in the nation in scoring at 80.7 points per game compared to Hofstra’s 58.5 points per game, good for 333rd in the nation.
Although Hofstra finished 7-25 (4-14 CAA) Cassara landed a solid incoming class thanks to his New England ties. Shooting guard Gervelle Kidd from Hargrave Military Academy (Va.) is signed while a trio from St. Thomas More (Conn.) — guards Amadi Udenyi and Marquise Moore and forward Gabe Levin — are also committed.
Sources say Iona’s Tim Cluess is in negations with Hofstra for its head coach position. Cluess played there
— Dan Wetzel (@DanWetzel) April 6, 2013
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)