Apr 5, 2013, 10:24 PM EDT
Mark Cuban said on Wednesday that he would consider using a second round pick on Baylor center Brittney Griner. The 6-foot-8 All-American responded on Twitter with, “I could hold my own! Let’s do it.”
But now some of women’s basketball most respected are speaking out against this publicity stunt. UConn head coach Geno Auriemma shot back calling the idea to draft her a “sham” and said it was “ludicrous” to think she’d be successful in the NBA.
Swin Cash, a forward for the Chicago Sky of the WNBA, wrote an opinion piece for theGrio.com acknowledging that the NBA would offer Griner exposure and marketing opportunities, but went on to say that her achievements on the floor should be celebrated and that Griner shouldn’t have to prove anything after one of the more remarkable college careers. Here is an excerpt:
It seems that only in basketball, people feel women need to validate themselves by playing against the guys. No one is screaming for ladies to join the men in track, soccer or tennis to prove they are worthy. So why basketball? I think it’s unfortunate that so many people are focusing now on what Brittney can’t do rather than celebrating what she has accomplished and could potentially go on to do. She shouldn’t have to beat out other NBA players to be seen for what she is – an amazing athlete.
In the video above Dan Patrick questions whether Griner has anything to prove in a segment for the Dan Patrick Show.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)