Apr 5, 2013, 10:24 PM EST
Mark Cuban said on Wednesday that he would consider using a second round pick on Baylor center Brittney Griner. The 6-foot-8 All-American responded on Twitter with, “I could hold my own! Let’s do it.”
But now some of women’s basketball most respected are speaking out against this publicity stunt. UConn head coach Geno Auriemma shot back calling the idea to draft her a “sham” and said it was “ludicrous” to think she’d be successful in the NBA.
Swin Cash, a forward for the Chicago Sky of the WNBA, wrote an opinion piece for theGrio.com acknowledging that the NBA would offer Griner exposure and marketing opportunities, but went on to say that her achievements on the floor should be celebrated and that Griner shouldn’t have to prove anything after one of the more remarkable college careers. Here is an excerpt:
It seems that only in basketball, people feel women need to validate themselves by playing against the guys. No one is screaming for ladies to join the men in track, soccer or tennis to prove they are worthy. So why basketball? I think it’s unfortunate that so many people are focusing now on what Brittney can’t do rather than celebrating what she has accomplished and could potentially go on to do. She shouldn’t have to beat out other NBA players to be seen for what she is – an amazing athlete.
In the video above Dan Patrick questions whether Griner has anything to prove in a segment for the Dan Patrick Show.
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 0
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 1
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Player of the Year Power Rankings 0
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 5 Oklahoma State’s win over Purdue exemplifies issues with new foul rules (3)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)