Apr 5, 2013, 10:24 PM EDT
Mark Cuban said on Wednesday that he would consider using a second round pick on Baylor center Brittney Griner. The 6-foot-8 All-American responded on Twitter with, “I could hold my own! Let’s do it.”
But now some of women’s basketball most respected are speaking out against this publicity stunt. UConn head coach Geno Auriemma shot back calling the idea to draft her a “sham” and said it was “ludicrous” to think she’d be successful in the NBA.
Swin Cash, a forward for the Chicago Sky of the WNBA, wrote an opinion piece for theGrio.com acknowledging that the NBA would offer Griner exposure and marketing opportunities, but went on to say that her achievements on the floor should be celebrated and that Griner shouldn’t have to prove anything after one of the more remarkable college careers. Here is an excerpt:
It seems that only in basketball, people feel women need to validate themselves by playing against the guys. No one is screaming for ladies to join the men in track, soccer or tennis to prove they are worthy. So why basketball? I think it’s unfortunate that so many people are focusing now on what Brittney can’t do rather than celebrating what she has accomplished and could potentially go on to do. She shouldn’t have to beat out other NBA players to be seen for what she is – an amazing athlete.
In the video above Dan Patrick questions whether Griner has anything to prove in a segment for the Dan Patrick Show.
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)