Apr 5, 2013, 10:24 PM EST
Mark Cuban said on Wednesday that he would consider using a second round pick on Baylor center Brittney Griner. The 6-foot-8 All-American responded on Twitter with, “I could hold my own! Let’s do it.”
But now some of women’s basketball most respected are speaking out against this publicity stunt. UConn head coach Geno Auriemma shot back calling the idea to draft her a “sham” and said it was “ludicrous” to think she’d be successful in the NBA.
Swin Cash, a forward for the Chicago Sky of the WNBA, wrote an opinion piece for theGrio.com acknowledging that the NBA would offer Griner exposure and marketing opportunities, but went on to say that her achievements on the floor should be celebrated and that Griner shouldn’t have to prove anything after one of the more remarkable college careers. Here is an excerpt:
It seems that only in basketball, people feel women need to validate themselves by playing against the guys. No one is screaming for ladies to join the men in track, soccer or tennis to prove they are worthy. So why basketball? I think it’s unfortunate that so many people are focusing now on what Brittney can’t do rather than celebrating what she has accomplished and could potentially go on to do. She shouldn’t have to beat out other NBA players to be seen for what she is – an amazing athlete.
In the video above Dan Patrick questions whether Griner has anything to prove in a segment for the Dan Patrick Show.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)