Apr 6, 2013, 2:56 PM EDT
We can only hope for endings as entertaining as this at this weekend’s Final Four.
With 12 seconds to play, St. Benedict’s guard and Syracuse commit Tyler Ennis hit a three-pointer off an inbounds pass to give the Gray Bees a 65-64 lead. On the ensuing possession, Florida-bound Montverde senior Kasey Hill drove the length of the floor and drew the defense inward toward the lane, kicking it out to an open Jalyn Patterson in the corner.
Patterson nailed the open three with seconds remaining and gave Montverde the 67-65 victory and NHSI championship at Georgetown Prep in Bethesda, Md., on Saturday.
That three gave Patterson five points on the game in the win.
Montverde erased a 14-point halftime lead to win Saturday, led by senior Dakari Johnson and Hill. Johnson is committed to Kentucky as part of coach John Calipari’s massively talented 2013 class.
For St. Benedict’s, Ennis played through a right shoulder injury that he suffered after a collision early in the game.
Check back soon for more on the NHSI Championship.
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)