Apr 6, 2013, 2:56 PM EST
We can only hope for endings as entertaining as this at this weekend’s Final Four.
With 12 seconds to play, St. Benedict’s guard and Syracuse commit Tyler Ennis hit a three-pointer off an inbounds pass to give the Gray Bees a 65-64 lead. On the ensuing possession, Florida-bound Montverde senior Kasey Hill drove the length of the floor and drew the defense inward toward the lane, kicking it out to an open Jalyn Patterson in the corner.
Patterson nailed the open three with seconds remaining and gave Montverde the 67-65 victory and NHSI championship at Georgetown Prep in Bethesda, Md., on Saturday.
That three gave Patterson five points on the game in the win.
Montverde erased a 14-point halftime lead to win Saturday, led by senior Dakari Johnson and Hill. Johnson is committed to Kentucky as part of coach John Calipari’s massively talented 2013 class.
For St. Benedict’s, Ennis played through a right shoulder injury that he suffered after a collision early in the game.
Check back soon for more on the NHSI Championship.
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 1
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 4
- Senior starters once again carry No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing most important part: His One Shining Moment 0
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 0
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)