Apr 6, 2013, 2:56 PM EDT
We can only hope for endings as entertaining as this at this weekend’s Final Four.
With 12 seconds to play, St. Benedict’s guard and Syracuse commit Tyler Ennis hit a three-pointer off an inbounds pass to give the Gray Bees a 65-64 lead. On the ensuing possession, Florida-bound Montverde senior Kasey Hill drove the length of the floor and drew the defense inward toward the lane, kicking it out to an open Jalyn Patterson in the corner.
Patterson nailed the open three with seconds remaining and gave Montverde the 67-65 victory and NHSI championship at Georgetown Prep in Bethesda, Md., on Saturday.
That three gave Patterson five points on the game in the win.
Montverde erased a 14-point halftime lead to win Saturday, led by senior Dakari Johnson and Hill. Johnson is committed to Kentucky as part of coach John Calipari’s massively talented 2013 class.
For St. Benedict’s, Ennis played through a right shoulder injury that he suffered after a collision early in the game.
Check back soon for more on the NHSI Championship.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)