Apr 6, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
The Final Four gets underway Saturday, but one of the smaller dances came to an end Friday night.
Santa Clara won Game 3 of its three-game series against George Mason, 80-77, to win the CBI championship at the Patriot Center in Fairfax, Va.
Senior Kevin Foster, who has been an offensive force for Santa Clara all season, led the way with 24 points on 8-of-19 shooting, while Marc Trasolini added 20 points and Evan Roquemore had 19.
Those three accounted for nearly 78 percent of the team’s offensive production on Friday for a team that shot an even 50 percent from the floor. Santa Clara overcame a massive -16 rebounding margin to win, mostly by shooting the percentage that they did and forcing 16 turnovers.
The win now officially ends the season for every member of the WCC. In all, four WCC teams saw time in the postseason with varying levels of success. No. 1 Gonzaga lost to Wichita State in the Round of 32 of the NCAA tournament. Saint Mary’s won its First Four game in the same tournament, but was defeated by Memphis in the Round of 64.
BYU was able to make a run to New York City in the NIT, but fell to eventual champion Baylor. And now Santa Clara takes home the CBI championship.
- Five-star 2015 forward cuts his list to five schools 0
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 2
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0