Apr 6, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
The Final Four gets underway Saturday, but one of the smaller dances came to an end Friday night.
Santa Clara won Game 3 of its three-game series against George Mason, 80-77, to win the CBI championship at the Patriot Center in Fairfax, Va.
Senior Kevin Foster, who has been an offensive force for Santa Clara all season, led the way with 24 points on 8-of-19 shooting, while Marc Trasolini added 20 points and Evan Roquemore had 19.
Those three accounted for nearly 78 percent of the team’s offensive production on Friday for a team that shot an even 50 percent from the floor. Santa Clara overcame a massive -16 rebounding margin to win, mostly by shooting the percentage that they did and forcing 16 turnovers.
The win now officially ends the season for every member of the WCC. In all, four WCC teams saw time in the postseason with varying levels of success. No. 1 Gonzaga lost to Wichita State in the Round of 32 of the NCAA tournament. Saint Mary’s won its First Four game in the same tournament, but was defeated by Memphis in the Round of 64.
BYU was able to make a run to New York City in the NIT, but fell to eventual champion Baylor. And now Santa Clara takes home the CBI championship.
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Creighton’s Doug McDermott scores his 3,000th point (VIDEO) 0
- Oregon’s big win over No. 3 Arizona caps impressive regular season turnaround 1
- No. 8 Kansas loses, but The Andrew Wiggins Show is what’s important 1
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league 5
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy (6)
- Bracketology: Eight teams in play for No. 1 seeds (6)