Apr 6, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
The Final Four gets underway Saturday, but one of the smaller dances came to an end Friday night.
Santa Clara won Game 3 of its three-game series against George Mason, 80-77, to win the CBI championship at the Patriot Center in Fairfax, Va.
Senior Kevin Foster, who has been an offensive force for Santa Clara all season, led the way with 24 points on 8-of-19 shooting, while Marc Trasolini added 20 points and Evan Roquemore had 19.
Those three accounted for nearly 78 percent of the team’s offensive production on Friday for a team that shot an even 50 percent from the floor. Santa Clara overcame a massive -16 rebounding margin to win, mostly by shooting the percentage that they did and forcing 16 turnovers.
The win now officially ends the season for every member of the WCC. In all, four WCC teams saw time in the postseason with varying levels of success. No. 1 Gonzaga lost to Wichita State in the Round of 32 of the NCAA tournament. Saint Mary’s won its First Four game in the same tournament, but was defeated by Memphis in the Round of 64.
BYU was able to make a run to New York City in the NIT, but fell to eventual champion Baylor. And now Santa Clara takes home the CBI championship.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 1
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)