Apr 6, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
ATLANTA — Luke Hancock made seemingly every big play down the stretch for the Cardinals.
There were the two drives to the rim midway through the second half. There was the three to put Louisville up for the first time in the second half. There was the three that gave the Cardinals a five-point lead with two minutes left.
But without a doubt, Hancock’s biggest play of the night came immediately after missing a free throw that would have put Louisville up four with 8.8 seconds left.
After Wichita State’s Ron Baker came down with the rebound, Hancock forced a jump-ball. Louisville had the possession arrow, meaning they got the ball back. Russ Smith eventually got fouled, hitting a free throw to essentially ice the game. Louisville won 72-68.
“I was forced to dribble the ball because I lost my balance,” Baker said. “I thought the ball was loose before the whistle was blown. I tapped it to Malcolm. They already called jump ball.”
It was close, and the biggest question after the game was whether or not that actually was a jump-ball. Did Hancock also have possession? Did he have possession long enough to earn the tie-up? Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall side-stepped the subject when he was asked about it after the game.
“As soon as both players have control of it to prevent a wrestling match, I guess. So if both players have their hands on it, it should be a held ball,” he said.
What do you think?
Was this a jump-ball?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)