Apr 6, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
ATLANTA — Luke Hancock made seemingly every big play down the stretch for the Cardinals.
There were the two drives to the rim midway through the second half. There was the three to put Louisville up for the first time in the second half. There was the three that gave the Cardinals a five-point lead with two minutes left.
But without a doubt, Hancock’s biggest play of the night came immediately after missing a free throw that would have put Louisville up four with 8.8 seconds left.
After Wichita State’s Ron Baker came down with the rebound, Hancock forced a jump-ball. Louisville had the possession arrow, meaning they got the ball back. Russ Smith eventually got fouled, hitting a free throw to essentially ice the game. Louisville won 72-68.
“I was forced to dribble the ball because I lost my balance,” Baker said. “I thought the ball was loose before the whistle was blown. I tapped it to Malcolm. They already called jump ball.”
It was close, and the biggest question after the game was whether or not that actually was a jump-ball. Did Hancock also have possession? Did he have possession long enough to earn the tie-up? Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall side-stepped the subject when he was asked about it after the game.
“As soon as both players have control of it to prevent a wrestling match, I guess. So if both players have their hands on it, it should be a held ball,” he said.
What do you think?
Was this a jump-ball?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)