Apr 6, 2013, 10:02 PM EST
ATLANTA — Luke Hancock made seemingly every big play down the stretch for the Cardinals.
There were the two drives to the rim midway through the second half. There was the three to put Louisville up for the first time in the second half. There was the three that gave the Cardinals a five-point lead with two minutes left.
But without a doubt, Hancock’s biggest play of the night came immediately after missing a free throw that would have put Louisville up four with 8.8 seconds left.
After Wichita State’s Ron Baker came down with the rebound, Hancock forced a jump-ball. Louisville had the possession arrow, meaning they got the ball back. Russ Smith eventually got fouled, hitting a free throw to essentially ice the game. Louisville won 72-68.
“I was forced to dribble the ball because I lost my balance,” Baker said. “I thought the ball was loose before the whistle was blown. I tapped it to Malcolm. They already called jump ball.”
It was close, and the biggest question after the game was whether or not that actually was a jump-ball. Did Hancock also have possession? Did he have possession long enough to earn the tie-up? Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall side-stepped the subject when he was asked about it after the game.
“As soon as both players have control of it to prevent a wrestling match, I guess. So if both players have their hands on it, it should be a held ball,” he said.
What do you think?
Was this a jump-ball?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)