Apr 6, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
ATLANTA — Luke Hancock made seemingly every big play down the stretch for the Cardinals.
There were the two drives to the rim midway through the second half. There was the three to put Louisville up for the first time in the second half. There was the three that gave the Cardinals a five-point lead with two minutes left.
But without a doubt, Hancock’s biggest play of the night came immediately after missing a free throw that would have put Louisville up four with 8.8 seconds left.
After Wichita State’s Ron Baker came down with the rebound, Hancock forced a jump-ball. Louisville had the possession arrow, meaning they got the ball back. Russ Smith eventually got fouled, hitting a free throw to essentially ice the game. Louisville won 72-68.
“I was forced to dribble the ball because I lost my balance,” Baker said. “I thought the ball was loose before the whistle was blown. I tapped it to Malcolm. They already called jump ball.”
It was close, and the biggest question after the game was whether or not that actually was a jump-ball. Did Hancock also have possession? Did he have possession long enough to earn the tie-up? Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall side-stepped the subject when he was asked about it after the game.
“As soon as both players have control of it to prevent a wrestling match, I guess. So if both players have their hands on it, it should be a held ball,” he said.
What do you think?
Was this a jump-ball?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)