Apr 7, 2013, 9:31 AM EST
Longtime assistant Bob Cantu will not remain on the USC bench during the Andy Enfield era, the coach acknowledged via his Twitter page Saturday night.
“I would like to thank USC for 12 good years!” he wrote. “I will not be returning as a coach at USC and wish the best to the future staff.Fight on!!”
Cantu served on the USC staff for 12 seasons and was named the interim head coach of the Trojans on Jan. 14 after the firing of Kevin O’Neill. The team went 7-8 after Cantu took over to finish the season and he received a good deal of praise about his handling of the team.
He has worked with the USC staff through four different coaching regimes, but will not remain on for a fifth. During his time with the school, 11 of his players made the jump to the NBA from the USC program.
USC hired Enfield on April 2 after his time with Florida Gulf Coast. According to reports, the Trojans are interesting in bringing high-level San Diego State recruiter Tony Bland onto the staff.
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- Bubble Banter: St. John’s with a huge win, N.C. State with an ugly loss 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)