Apr 7, 2013, 9:31 AM EDT
Longtime assistant Bob Cantu will not remain on the USC bench during the Andy Enfield era, the coach acknowledged via his Twitter page Saturday night.
“I would like to thank USC for 12 good years!” he wrote. “I will not be returning as a coach at USC and wish the best to the future staff.Fight on!!”
Cantu served on the USC staff for 12 seasons and was named the interim head coach of the Trojans on Jan. 14 after the firing of Kevin O’Neill. The team went 7-8 after Cantu took over to finish the season and he received a good deal of praise about his handling of the team.
He has worked with the USC staff through four different coaching regimes, but will not remain on for a fifth. During his time with the school, 11 of his players made the jump to the NBA from the USC program.
USC hired Enfield on April 2 after his time with Florida Gulf Coast. According to reports, the Trojans are interesting in bringing high-level San Diego State recruiter Tony Bland onto the staff.
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)