Apr 7, 2013, 9:31 AM EDT
Longtime assistant Bob Cantu will not remain on the USC bench during the Andy Enfield era, the coach acknowledged via his Twitter page Saturday night.
“I would like to thank USC for 12 good years!” he wrote. “I will not be returning as a coach at USC and wish the best to the future staff.Fight on!!”
Cantu served on the USC staff for 12 seasons and was named the interim head coach of the Trojans on Jan. 14 after the firing of Kevin O’Neill. The team went 7-8 after Cantu took over to finish the season and he received a good deal of praise about his handling of the team.
He has worked with the USC staff through four different coaching regimes, but will not remain on for a fifth. During his time with the school, 11 of his players made the jump to the NBA from the USC program.
USC hired Enfield on April 2 after his time with Florida Gulf Coast. According to reports, the Trojans are interesting in bringing high-level San Diego State recruiter Tony Bland onto the staff.
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)