Apr 8, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
It had been rumored that the entire Fab Five would be in attendance to watch Michigan’s national title game tilt with Louisville. Jimmy King, Ray Jackson and Jalen Rose, with the possibility of Juwan Howard as well. But the one wild card was Chris Webber.
Webber was hit with a 10-year no-contact penalty stemming from sanctions handed down by the NCAA for violations that occurred during his two-year career with the Wolverines. Both Final Fours those teams made were vacated as a result as well.
Turns out he is at the national title game tonight.
CBS showed footage of the former All-Big Ten selection and NBA All-Star prior to the game. Webber will be reportedly be in attendance, “high above” as Jim Nance said, watching the game.
Webber’s no-contact clause ends in a few months, but he is within his legal rights to attend the game, so long as he doesn’t have contact with anyone around the program while he’s there.
This is just cool. Webber, like it or not, was the key player on those two Michigan teams that made back-to-back national title games. The Wolverines are entering their first NCAA title game since his sophomore year in 1993, his final year with the team.
(Photo courtesy of Chris Webber’s Twitter @realchriswebber.)
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 5
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 9
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- Duke’s Jabari Parker will discuss options with Mike Krzyzewski next week 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (8)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)