Apr 8, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
It had been rumored that the entire Fab Five would be in attendance to watch Michigan’s national title game tilt with Louisville. Jimmy King, Ray Jackson and Jalen Rose, with the possibility of Juwan Howard as well. But the one wild card was Chris Webber.
Webber was hit with a 10-year no-contact penalty stemming from sanctions handed down by the NCAA for violations that occurred during his two-year career with the Wolverines. Both Final Fours those teams made were vacated as a result as well.
Turns out he is at the national title game tonight.
CBS showed footage of the former All-Big Ten selection and NBA All-Star prior to the game. Webber will be reportedly be in attendance, “high above” as Jim Nance said, watching the game.
Webber’s no-contact clause ends in a few months, but he is within his legal rights to attend the game, so long as he doesn’t have contact with anyone around the program while he’s there.
This is just cool. Webber, like it or not, was the key player on those two Michigan teams that made back-to-back national title games. The Wolverines are entering their first NCAA title game since his sophomore year in 1993, his final year with the team.
(Photo courtesy of Chris Webber’s Twitter @realchriswebber.)
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)