Apr 8, 2013, 10:45 PM EST
It had been rumored that the entire Fab Five would be in attendance to watch Michigan’s national title game tilt with Louisville. Jimmy King, Ray Jackson and Jalen Rose, with the possibility of Juwan Howard as well. But the one wild card was Chris Webber.
Webber was hit with a 10-year no-contact penalty stemming from sanctions handed down by the NCAA for violations that occurred during his two-year career with the Wolverines. Both Final Fours those teams made were vacated as a result as well.
Turns out he is at the national title game tonight.
CBS showed footage of the former All-Big Ten selection and NBA All-Star prior to the game. Webber will be reportedly be in attendance, “high above” as Jim Nance said, watching the game.
Webber’s no-contact clause ends in a few months, but he is within his legal rights to attend the game, so long as he doesn’t have contact with anyone around the program while he’s there.
This is just cool. Webber, like it or not, was the key player on those two Michigan teams that made back-to-back national title games. The Wolverines are entering their first NCAA title game since his sophomore year in 1993, his final year with the team.
(Photo courtesy of Chris Webber’s Twitter @realchriswebber.)
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)