Apr 8, 2013, 10:45 PM EST
It had been rumored that the entire Fab Five would be in attendance to watch Michigan’s national title game tilt with Louisville. Jimmy King, Ray Jackson and Jalen Rose, with the possibility of Juwan Howard as well. But the one wild card was Chris Webber.
Webber was hit with a 10-year no-contact penalty stemming from sanctions handed down by the NCAA for violations that occurred during his two-year career with the Wolverines. Both Final Fours those teams made were vacated as a result as well.
Turns out he is at the national title game tonight.
CBS showed footage of the former All-Big Ten selection and NBA All-Star prior to the game. Webber will be reportedly be in attendance, “high above” as Jim Nance said, watching the game.
Webber’s no-contact clause ends in a few months, but he is within his legal rights to attend the game, so long as he doesn’t have contact with anyone around the program while he’s there.
This is just cool. Webber, like it or not, was the key player on those two Michigan teams that made back-to-back national title games. The Wolverines are entering their first NCAA title game since his sophomore year in 1993, his final year with the team.
(Photo courtesy of Chris Webber’s Twitter @realchriswebber.)
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)