Apr 8, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
Less than one week after the firing of coach Mike Rice and just days after the story deepened with news of an FBI investigation into the case, Rutgers has launched an independent investigation into the conduct of Rice and the way in which the situation was handled over the weeks and months that followed, the AP is reporting.
The investigation stems from practice video that was leaked to the media by former Rutgers staffer Eric Murdock, who was not retained by the school prior to having provided the tape to ESPN’s “Outside the Lines”. Since the tape went public, Rice has been fired and athletic director Tim Pernetti has resigned.
According to a report, Pernetti is due to receive $1.2 million, two years worth of health insurance, car allowance, and an iPad as part of settlement with the university.
There have been calls for the resignation of President Robert Barchi, as well, with many citing the lapse between when Rice was suspended for the behavior seen on the tape five months prior and his firing this past week. There appeared to be discrepancies about when the video tape was seen and by whom.
Also Monday, board chairman Ralph Izzo said that one board member – athletics committee chairman Mark P. Hershhorn – had seen the video in December. Izzo said that it was not shown to other members and while the topic of the coach’s conduct was discussed at a committee meeting in December, it was not discussed at the whole-board meeting that month.
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)