Apr 8, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
Less than one week after the firing of coach Mike Rice and just days after the story deepened with news of an FBI investigation into the case, Rutgers has launched an independent investigation into the conduct of Rice and the way in which the situation was handled over the weeks and months that followed, the AP is reporting.
The investigation stems from practice video that was leaked to the media by former Rutgers staffer Eric Murdock, who was not retained by the school prior to having provided the tape to ESPN’s “Outside the Lines”. Since the tape went public, Rice has been fired and athletic director Tim Pernetti has resigned.
According to a report, Pernetti is due to receive $1.2 million, two years worth of health insurance, car allowance, and an iPad as part of settlement with the university.
There have been calls for the resignation of President Robert Barchi, as well, with many citing the lapse between when Rice was suspended for the behavior seen on the tape five months prior and his firing this past week. There appeared to be discrepancies about when the video tape was seen and by whom.
Also Monday, board chairman Ralph Izzo said that one board member – athletics committee chairman Mark P. Hershhorn – had seen the video in December. Izzo said that it was not shown to other members and while the topic of the coach’s conduct was discussed at a committee meeting in December, it was not discussed at the whole-board meeting that month.
- Why Duke’s road win at Virginia was so shocking 0
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)