Apr 8, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Less than one week after the firing of coach Mike Rice and just days after the story deepened with news of an FBI investigation into the case, Rutgers has launched an independent investigation into the conduct of Rice and the way in which the situation was handled over the weeks and months that followed, the AP is reporting.
The investigation stems from practice video that was leaked to the media by former Rutgers staffer Eric Murdock, who was not retained by the school prior to having provided the tape to ESPN’s “Outside the Lines”. Since the tape went public, Rice has been fired and athletic director Tim Pernetti has resigned.
According to a report, Pernetti is due to receive $1.2 million, two years worth of health insurance, car allowance, and an iPad as part of settlement with the university.
There have been calls for the resignation of President Robert Barchi, as well, with many citing the lapse between when Rice was suspended for the behavior seen on the tape five months prior and his firing this past week. There appeared to be discrepancies about when the video tape was seen and by whom.
Also Monday, board chairman Ralph Izzo said that one board member – athletics committee chairman Mark P. Hershhorn – had seen the video in December. Izzo said that it was not shown to other members and while the topic of the coach’s conduct was discussed at a committee meeting in December, it was not discussed at the whole-board meeting that month.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)