Apr 8, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Less than one week after the firing of coach Mike Rice and just days after the story deepened with news of an FBI investigation into the case, Rutgers has launched an independent investigation into the conduct of Rice and the way in which the situation was handled over the weeks and months that followed, the AP is reporting.
The investigation stems from practice video that was leaked to the media by former Rutgers staffer Eric Murdock, who was not retained by the school prior to having provided the tape to ESPN’s “Outside the Lines”. Since the tape went public, Rice has been fired and athletic director Tim Pernetti has resigned.
According to a report, Pernetti is due to receive $1.2 million, two years worth of health insurance, car allowance, and an iPad as part of settlement with the university.
There have been calls for the resignation of President Robert Barchi, as well, with many citing the lapse between when Rice was suspended for the behavior seen on the tape five months prior and his firing this past week. There appeared to be discrepancies about when the video tape was seen and by whom.
Also Monday, board chairman Ralph Izzo said that one board member – athletics committee chairman Mark P. Hershhorn – had seen the video in December. Izzo said that it was not shown to other members and while the topic of the coach’s conduct was discussed at a committee meeting in December, it was not discussed at the whole-board meeting that month.
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 7
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 4
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)