Apr 8, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
ATLANTA — I spent the afternoon wandering around downtown Atlanta, buying overpriced knick-knacks and souvenirs to bring home, because it’s not a Final Four if you don’t purchase a pint glass and a t-shirt specifically for the memory of spending an unnecessary $50.
While wandering, I got to asking about ticket prices on the street, and the price was astounding.
For a pair of tickets in an end zone section of the upper deck was $700 for the pair. That’s $350 each. And that sounds like a deal when you consider the fact that four tickets next to each other in section 122 were going for $4,000.
$1,000 a piece for tickets to a basketball game.
That’s utter insanity if anyone actually pays that. And here’s the scary thing: there were actually people trying to haggle with them. Now, to be fair, this was around noon on the day of the title game, meaning that the scalpers were doing what smart ticket scalpers do and aiming high with their prices. Those will likely come down as game-time gets closer and they don’t want to get stuck with useless tickets.
But still, the fact that they think that $1,000 for a ticket is actually realistic tells you all you need to know about college basketball fans.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 40
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)