Apr 8, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
ATLANTA — I spent the afternoon wandering around downtown Atlanta, buying overpriced knick-knacks and souvenirs to bring home, because it’s not a Final Four if you don’t purchase a pint glass and a t-shirt specifically for the memory of spending an unnecessary $50.
While wandering, I got to asking about ticket prices on the street, and the price was astounding.
For a pair of tickets in an end zone section of the upper deck was $700 for the pair. That’s $350 each. And that sounds like a deal when you consider the fact that four tickets next to each other in section 122 were going for $4,000.
$1,000 a piece for tickets to a basketball game.
That’s utter insanity if anyone actually pays that. And here’s the scary thing: there were actually people trying to haggle with them. Now, to be fair, this was around noon on the day of the title game, meaning that the scalpers were doing what smart ticket scalpers do and aiming high with their prices. Those will likely come down as game-time gets closer and they don’t want to get stuck with useless tickets.
But still, the fact that they think that $1,000 for a ticket is actually realistic tells you all you need to know about college basketball fans.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)