Apr 8, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
ATLANTA — I spent the afternoon wandering around downtown Atlanta, buying overpriced knick-knacks and souvenirs to bring home, because it’s not a Final Four if you don’t purchase a pint glass and a t-shirt specifically for the memory of spending an unnecessary $50.
While wandering, I got to asking about ticket prices on the street, and the price was astounding.
For a pair of tickets in an end zone section of the upper deck was $700 for the pair. That’s $350 each. And that sounds like a deal when you consider the fact that four tickets next to each other in section 122 were going for $4,000.
$1,000 a piece for tickets to a basketball game.
That’s utter insanity if anyone actually pays that. And here’s the scary thing: there were actually people trying to haggle with them. Now, to be fair, this was around noon on the day of the title game, meaning that the scalpers were doing what smart ticket scalpers do and aiming high with their prices. Those will likely come down as game-time gets closer and they don’t want to get stuck with useless tickets.
But still, the fact that they think that $1,000 for a ticket is actually realistic tells you all you need to know about college basketball fans.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)