Apr 9, 2013, 5:40 PM EST
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
Add Ben McLemore to the growing list of players declaring for the NBA Draft today.
The Kansas redshirt freshman will forgo his final three seasons of eligibility and enter the draft, making the announcement at a Tuesday afternoon press conference.
The St. Louis native made a huge impact during his one season in Lawrence, averaging 15.9 points and 5.2 rebounds per game while shooting 87-percent from the free throw line and picking up first team All-Big 12 Conference honors along the way.
“I want to thank my teammates a lot for supporting me and always pushing me each and every day at practice,” McLemore said in the press conference. “I love those guys. It was great playing with those guys. I want to thank my family and the coaching staff, too, but most of all I want to thank the KU fans. Without the KU fans, Kansas wouldn’t be like this. The KU fans are great and I’d like to thank them a lot for cheering me on and cheering this whole program on. I love that about Kansas. That’s the reason I came here.”
His scoring average broke Danny Manning’s school freshman record that’s stood since 1985. McLemore was also tabbed to the Associated Press, Wooden, NABC, Lute Olson and USWBA all-american teams, according to the release.
Tough to argue with his decision, especially if you’ve read Eric Prisbell’s great story on the struggle of McLemore’s family, living in poverty and having one of his brothers in prison. He’s projected as a first-rounder by many mock draft sites, and that guaranteed three-year contract will go a long way to helping out his family.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)