Apr 9, 2013, 10:52 PM EDT
It’s becoming something of a formality recently. If Geno Auriemma gets to the national title game, don’t bother betting against him.
Auriemma and the UConn Lady Huskies used a first half run to take control and dominate Louisville 93-60 to claim the program’s eighth national title at the Final Four in New Orleans. The win also moves Auriemma to 8-0 in NCAA championship games.
The 33-point margin of victory was the largest ever in an NCAA Women’s Tournament title game.
Trailing 13-8 with 14:30 left in the half, Morgan Tuck’s lay-up keyed a 21-1 run by UConn (35-4) that gave them firm control of the contest and allowed them to breeze to a 48-29 halftime lead. They extended their lead in the second half, rolling to victory and allowing Auriemma to tie Pat Summitt and Tennessee with eight national titles.
Breanna Stewart, a freshman, was named the Most Outstanding Player of the Final Four, finishing with a game-high 23 points on 9-of-15 shooting, including 3-for-3 from three-point range. She paced four Lady Huskies who finished in double figures. Sara Hammond led the Lady Cardinals (29-9) with 15 points.
Louisville missed out on a chance to be the second program to win both the men’s and women’s national titles in the same year. UConn was the first to do it in 2004.
UConn shot 50-percent from three-point range (13-for-26) and 53-percent (35-of-66) overall. Four players finished with at least five field goals for the Lady Huskies.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Mississippi State landed a commitment on Sunday from a transfer.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Kansas (USA) is 2-0 so far at the World University Games.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Markelle Fultz is one the best guard prospects in the country.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Mathiang’s playing on an Australian team that includes the likes of Peter Hooley and Hugh Greenwood.
Jul 4, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 6-foot-9 Henry averaged 6.0 points and 3.6 rebounds per game last season.
Jul 4, 2015, 3:59 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led the way with 30 points for the United States, which plays Croatia Sunday.
Jul 4, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Miles Bridges is one of the better scorers in the 2016 class.
Jul 4, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
The US is taking on the hosts in the semifinals, with the winner getting Croatia on Sunday.
Jul 4, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Four players from 2015 NCAA tournament programs are trying out for the Canadian national team.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Kansas won its debut overseas this summer as Wayne Selden had a big outing.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
UConn landed a quality guard in the Class of 2016.
Jul 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Given Oregon’s many perimeter options, minutes were likely to be at a premium for Rorie in 2015-16.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The top four players remain the same.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:19 PM EDT
The redshirt junior has not played since January 2014.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
The rising sophomore was originally being blocked from transferring to 55 schools.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
Ohio State begins its 2017 class with a local product.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led USA Basketball with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
A lot of unranked players made their way into the top five in a surprisingly deep class.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led four Americans in double figures with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Minnesota is one of four schools the 6-foot-10 center is reportedly considering.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)