Apr 9, 2013, 11:58 AM EST
Spike Albrecht was a sensation for 20 minutes last night.
The 5-foot-11 freshman point guard whose task this season was to spell Trey Burke and make sure that the game didn’t get out of hand when Burke has to go to the bench failed in that regard on Monday night. The title game got out of hand. And Albrecht was to blame.
He drilled three straight threes to give Michigan a 20-15 lead, and then when Burke had to go to the bench with two fouls, Albrecht scored eight more points and led the Wolverines to a 33-21 cushion late in the first half. Of course, that cushion would disappear when Luke Hancock went all Spike Albrecht and hit four threes in a two minute stretch to erase that lead.
This is the age of the internet, so when Albrecht finally came back to earth — after adding more than 15,000 followers on twitter last night, and another 5,000 today (seriously, check his page, he was at 4,906 when I checked early last night) — in the second half and Michigan lost control of the game to the Cardinals, his story was some what forgotten. But that doesn’t change just how awesome that first half of basketball was.
And that also didn’t change Albrecht’s confidence, as he sent out this tweet this morning:
@kateupton hey saw you at the game last night, thanks for coming out! Hope to see you again 😉
— spike albrecht (@SpikeAlbrecht) April 9, 2013
Yup. That’s what we call a heat check.
Spike Albrecht is my new favorite player in the country.
(Image via Kate Upton’s twitter feed)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 0
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)