Apr 9, 2013, 11:58 AM EDT
Spike Albrecht was a sensation for 20 minutes last night.
The 5-foot-11 freshman point guard whose task this season was to spell Trey Burke and make sure that the game didn’t get out of hand when Burke has to go to the bench failed in that regard on Monday night. The title game got out of hand. And Albrecht was to blame.
He drilled three straight threes to give Michigan a 20-15 lead, and then when Burke had to go to the bench with two fouls, Albrecht scored eight more points and led the Wolverines to a 33-21 cushion late in the first half. Of course, that cushion would disappear when Luke Hancock went all Spike Albrecht and hit four threes in a two minute stretch to erase that lead.
This is the age of the internet, so when Albrecht finally came back to earth — after adding more than 15,000 followers on twitter last night, and another 5,000 today (seriously, check his page, he was at 4,906 when I checked early last night) — in the second half and Michigan lost control of the game to the Cardinals, his story was some what forgotten. But that doesn’t change just how awesome that first half of basketball was.
And that also didn’t change Albrecht’s confidence, as he sent out this tweet this morning:
@kateupton hey saw you at the game last night, thanks for coming out! Hope to see you again 😉
— spike albrecht (@SpikeAlbrecht) April 9, 2013
Yup. That’s what we call a heat check.
Spike Albrecht is my new favorite player in the country.
(Image via Kate Upton’s twitter feed)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)