Apr 9, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Chris Otule will reportedly be back for a sixth year at Marquette.
The 6-11, 275-pound center will come back to campus for a fourth full season with the Golden Eagles, according to CBSSports.com’s Jeff Goodman.
Otule has missed most of two seasons with the program. As a freshman in 2008-09, he missed all but nine games with a broken left foot. He then missed a majority of the 2011-12 season after tearing an ACL in a win over Washington in December.
Marquette big man Chris Otule has decided to return for a 6th-year, source told CBSSports. Should be a formality to receive extra year.
— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanCBS) April 9, 2013
He averaged 5.1 points and 3.5 rebounds this season for coach Buzz Williams’ squad, acting as a reserve behind big man Davante Gardner.
Otule played arguably his best ball at the end of the season, finishing with his lone double-double of the season in an 11-point, 11-rebound performance in Marquette’s 59-58 comeback win over Davidson in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. He also poured in 11 in a 71-61 win over no. 2 seed Miami in the Sweet 16 before the Golden Eagles fell to Syracuse in the Elite Eight.
This keeps Marquette’s post depth in tact for next season. Gardner (11.5 points, 4.8 rebounds) should return for his senior season, along with 6-7 Jamil Wilson (9.7 points, 4.9 rebounds). They’ll need all the depth they can get, as guards Trent Lockett and Junior Cadougan have exhausted their eligibility and there’s the chance that Vander Blue could enter the NBA Draft after the late-season performances he had.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 1
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- ACC releases its full conference schedule (2)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)