Apr 9, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Chris Otule will reportedly be back for a sixth year at Marquette.
The 6-11, 275-pound center will come back to campus for a fourth full season with the Golden Eagles, according to CBSSports.com’s Jeff Goodman.
Otule has missed most of two seasons with the program. As a freshman in 2008-09, he missed all but nine games with a broken left foot. He then missed a majority of the 2011-12 season after tearing an ACL in a win over Washington in December.
Marquette big man Chris Otule has decided to return for a 6th-year, source told CBSSports. Should be a formality to receive extra year.
— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanCBS) April 9, 2013
He averaged 5.1 points and 3.5 rebounds this season for coach Buzz Williams’ squad, acting as a reserve behind big man Davante Gardner.
Otule played arguably his best ball at the end of the season, finishing with his lone double-double of the season in an 11-point, 11-rebound performance in Marquette’s 59-58 comeback win over Davidson in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. He also poured in 11 in a 71-61 win over no. 2 seed Miami in the Sweet 16 before the Golden Eagles fell to Syracuse in the Elite Eight.
This keeps Marquette’s post depth in tact for next season. Gardner (11.5 points, 4.8 rebounds) should return for his senior season, along with 6-7 Jamil Wilson (9.7 points, 4.9 rebounds). They’ll need all the depth they can get, as guards Trent Lockett and Junior Cadougan have exhausted their eligibility and there’s the chance that Vander Blue could enter the NBA Draft after the late-season performances he had.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)