Apr 9, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Chris Otule will reportedly be back for a sixth year at Marquette.
The 6-11, 275-pound center will come back to campus for a fourth full season with the Golden Eagles, according to CBSSports.com’s Jeff Goodman.
Otule has missed most of two seasons with the program. As a freshman in 2008-09, he missed all but nine games with a broken left foot. He then missed a majority of the 2011-12 season after tearing an ACL in a win over Washington in December.
Marquette big man Chris Otule has decided to return for a 6th-year, source told CBSSports. Should be a formality to receive extra year.
— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanCBS) April 9, 2013
He averaged 5.1 points and 3.5 rebounds this season for coach Buzz Williams’ squad, acting as a reserve behind big man Davante Gardner.
Otule played arguably his best ball at the end of the season, finishing with his lone double-double of the season in an 11-point, 11-rebound performance in Marquette’s 59-58 comeback win over Davidson in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. He also poured in 11 in a 71-61 win over no. 2 seed Miami in the Sweet 16 before the Golden Eagles fell to Syracuse in the Elite Eight.
This keeps Marquette’s post depth in tact for next season. Gardner (11.5 points, 4.8 rebounds) should return for his senior season, along with 6-7 Jamil Wilson (9.7 points, 4.9 rebounds). They’ll need all the depth they can get, as guards Trent Lockett and Junior Cadougan have exhausted their eligibility and there’s the chance that Vander Blue could enter the NBA Draft after the late-season performances he had.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)