Apr 9, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
What a game. What a season.
The 2012-2013 college basketball season is officially in the books and we were sent off into the sunset with arguably the best game of the season. Last night’s National Championship game between Louisville and Michigan was better than anything we could have asked for.
Let’s hit the links.
Read of the Day:
A fascinating-read from Shane Ryan on a crew of Louisville stat-keepers that changed the way numbers were crunched. Plus “dead-ball rebounds”. What the heck is that? (Grantland)
Observations & Insight:
– Montrezl Harrell and Tim Hardaway Jr. threw down two of the best dunks of the entire tournament. (College Basketball Talk)
– College basketball officiating has been atrocious as of late. If you agree with this statement, I highly recommend you click the following link. (Deadspin)
– Despite not having a team win the National Championship, this season was a resounding success for the Big Ten Conference. (Big Ten Network)
– Everybody remembers the winners, but we shouldn’t forget about what Spike Albrecht conjured up in the first half last night. (Eye on College Basketball)
– Jon Beilein’s late-game coaching gaffe didn’t cost his team the National Championship, but it did make matters difficult down the stretch. (USA Today)
– I know it’s just Tuesday, but Rick Pitino may have just capped off the best week ever. (Dallas Star-Telegram)
– Was Trey Burke’s block/foul on Peyton Siva the turning point in the National Championship game? (The Dagger)
– An inside the numbers look at Louisville’s National Championship victory over Michigan. (ESPN)
– Louisville had to fend off nearly perfect halves from both Wichita State and Michigan. But the Cardinals never panicked and never wavered. (Courier-Journal)
– Recruiting guru Reggie Rankin provides an outlook for the Michigan Wolverines in 2013-2014. (ESPN Insider)
– The early odds for the 2014 National Championship. Kentucky is the strong favorite. No sign of Wichita State or Florida Gulf Coast. (The Gazette)
– Indiana associate head coach Tim Buckley has shown interested in the opening at Florida Gulf Coast. (The Hoosier Scoop)
– Maryland guard Pe’Shon Howard has decided to transfer after an injury-plagued career in College Park. (D1sCourse.com)
– Tim Pernetti is no longer the Athletic Director at Rutgers, but he will still get $1.2-million in salary and an iPad. (Sports Illustrated)
– Kansas State sophomore guard Adrian Diaz is set to transfer out of “The Little Apple”. (Kansas City Star)
– UCLA freshman forward Anthony Parker has opted against transferring and will stay in Westwood. (Larry Brown Sports)
Odds & Ends:
– Fans of the program are aware that @CBTonNBC was first on the scene with the coining of “Dunk City”. Finally we get the recognition we deserve. (The Post Game)
– Bill Clinton wrote an awesome letter to Chris Webber following C-Web’s legendary National Championship game gaffe against North Carolina. (Deadspin)
– It looks like Kobe Bryant did not watch the National Championship game. (Dime Magazine)
– Some D-list video vixen is trying to expose Peyton Siva as a fraud. Good grief. (Black Sports Online)
– Some of the best photos from the National Championship Game. (Sports Illustrated)
– And from the “You Can’t Make This Stuff Up” files: Manti Te’O’s fake-girlfriend won the entire ESPN bracket challenge. (USA Today)
Picture of the Day:
The National Player of the Year has nothing to be ashamed of. Helluva game. Helluva season.
.GIF of the Day:
Rick Pitino was not ready for the celebratory fireworks.
.GIF of the Day:
Peyton Siva’s dad is the best.
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
The USA U19 team captured back-to-back FIBA World Championships for the first time since 1983.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Mississippi State landed a commitment on Sunday from a transfer.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Kansas (USA) is 2-0 so far at the World University Games.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Markelle Fultz is one the best guard prospects in the country.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Mathiang’s playing on an Australian team that includes the likes of Peter Hooley and Hugh Greenwood.
Jul 4, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 6-foot-9 Henry averaged 6.0 points and 3.6 rebounds per game last season.
Jul 4, 2015, 3:59 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led the way with 30 points for the United States, which plays Croatia Sunday.
Jul 4, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Miles Bridges is one of the better scorers in the 2016 class.
Jul 4, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
The US is taking on the hosts in the semifinals, with the winner getting Croatia on Sunday.
Jul 4, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Four players from 2015 NCAA tournament programs are trying out for the Canadian national team.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Kansas won its debut overseas this summer as Wayne Selden had a big outing.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
UConn landed a quality guard in the Class of 2016.
Jul 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Given Oregon’s many perimeter options, minutes were likely to be at a premium for Rorie in 2015-16.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The top four players remain the same.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:19 PM EDT
The redshirt junior has not played since January 2014.
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4