Apr 9, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
What a game. What a season.
The 2012-2013 college basketball season is officially in the books and we were sent off into the sunset with arguably the best game of the season. Last night’s National Championship game between Louisville and Michigan was better than anything we could have asked for.
Let’s hit the links.
Read of the Day:
A fascinating-read from Shane Ryan on a crew of Louisville stat-keepers that changed the way numbers were crunched. Plus “dead-ball rebounds”. What the heck is that? (Grantland)
Observations & Insight:
– Montrezl Harrell and Tim Hardaway Jr. threw down two of the best dunks of the entire tournament. (College Basketball Talk)
- College basketball officiating has been atrocious as of late. If you agree with this statement, I highly recommend you click the following link. (Deadspin)
- Despite not having a team win the National Championship, this season was a resounding success for the Big Ten Conference. (Big Ten Network)
- Everybody remembers the winners, but we shouldn’t forget about what Spike Albrecht conjured up in the first half last night. (Eye on College Basketball)
- Jon Beilein’s late-game coaching gaffe didn’t cost his team the National Championship, but it did make matters difficult down the stretch. (USA Today)
- I know it’s just Tuesday, but Rick Pitino may have just capped off the best week ever. (Dallas Star-Telegram)
- Was Trey Burke’s block/foul on Peyton Siva the turning point in the National Championship game? (The Dagger)
- An inside the numbers look at Louisville’s National Championship victory over Michigan. (ESPN)
- Louisville had to fend off nearly perfect halves from both Wichita State and Michigan. But the Cardinals never panicked and never wavered. (Courier-Journal)
- Recruiting guru Reggie Rankin provides an outlook for the Michigan Wolverines in 2013-2014. (ESPN Insider)
- The early odds for the 2014 National Championship. Kentucky is the strong favorite. No sign of Wichita State or Florida Gulf Coast. (The Gazette)
– Indiana associate head coach Tim Buckley has shown interested in the opening at Florida Gulf Coast. (The Hoosier Scoop)
- Maryland guard Pe’Shon Howard has decided to transfer after an injury-plagued career in College Park. (D1sCourse.com)
- Tim Pernetti is no longer the Athletic Director at Rutgers, but he will still get $1.2-million in salary and an iPad. (Sports Illustrated)
- Kansas State sophomore guard Adrian Diaz is set to transfer out of “The Little Apple”. (Kansas City Star)
- UCLA freshman forward Anthony Parker has opted against transferring and will stay in Westwood. (Larry Brown Sports)
Odds & Ends:
– Fans of the program are aware that @CBTonNBC was first on the scene with the coining of “Dunk City”. Finally we get the recognition we deserve. (The Post Game)
- Bill Clinton wrote an awesome letter to Chris Webber following C-Web’s legendary National Championship game gaffe against North Carolina. (Deadspin)
- It looks like Kobe Bryant did not watch the National Championship game. (Dime Magazine)
- Some D-list video vixen is trying to expose Peyton Siva as a fraud. Good grief. (Black Sports Online)
- Some of the best photos from the National Championship Game. (Sports Illustrated)
- And from the “You Can’t Make This Stuff Up” files: Manti Te’O’s fake-girlfriend won the entire ESPN bracket challenge. (USA Today)
Picture of the Day:
The National Player of the Year has nothing to be ashamed of. Helluva game. Helluva season.
.GIF of the Day:
Rick Pitino was not ready for the celebratory fireworks.
.GIF of the Day:
Peyton Siva’s dad is the best.
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir
Jul 29, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
UCLA reopened Pauley Pavilion in 2012 after $136 million worth of renovations.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT
The UCLA campus became flooded on Tuesday afternoon.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski is entering his 40th season as a head coach.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Doug Wojcik has been investigated twice by the College of Charleston.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Cal told The Sporting News that he couldn’t leave behind the guys that decided to return to school. Do you buy it?
Jul 29, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
A former UK coach gave his listeners some new details about Willie Cauley-Stein’s injury.
Jul 29, 2014, 4:27 PM EDT
Malik Monk is a dream come true for the mixtape makers.
Jul 29, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT
And now they’re considering selling it at football games.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
The Bruins will be tested by the time Pac-12 play rolls around.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Chad Frazier was arrested back in April.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Another surprise cut was made at the point guard spot
Jul 29, 2014, 10:12 AM EDT
Beyond the glitz and glamour of the highest levels of AAU basketball are kids fighting to land one of a few coveted scholarships.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
The procedure wasn’t know until Agau took to social media.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Richard Pitino likes that he can feed his players now.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Wisconsin got some pretty cool rings for making the Final Four.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
After tearing his ACL less than a year ago, Harry Giles looks healthy and prepared to battle for No. 1 in the Class of 2016.
Jul 28, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Northwestern head coach Chris Collins will be working with pros this summer.
Jul 28, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Seven thoughts are a weekend at AAU Nationals and Super Showcase in Louisville.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:36 PM EDT
Haley is the first member of Washington’s 2016 recruiting class.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
Our Raphielle Johnson spent five days at the tournaments out in Vegas last week. Here are his thoughts on them.
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)