Apr 10, 2013, 10:20 AM EST
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
Cody Zeller is heading to the NBA.
Indiana’s star center will made his intentions known this afternoon in a press conference. Draft Express projects him as the No. 6 pick in this year’s draft, one slot behind teammate Victor Oladipo, who declared for the draft yesterday.
“I believe it is in my best interest to pursue my professional basketball career in the NBA next season,” he said.
Zeller was a second team all-american this season after averaging 16.1 points and 7.3 boards. In his two seasons with Indiana, he went 56-16 and played a major role in the renaissance of the program. If he doesn’t pick the Hoosiers, Indiana isn’t a Sweet 16 team in 2012 and they don’t win the Big Ten title in 2013.
It will be interesting to see just how good of a pro Zeller will be. He’s terrific in transition and when it comes to running the floor, but he struggled at times this season against teams with above-average athletes and length. He also doesn’t have a great back-to-the-basket game, which was exposed later in the season.
Indiana will lose their top four scorers this offseason, but Tom Crean has a stockpile of talent on his roster and another loaded recruiting class coming in this season, headlined by five-star power forward Noah Vonleh.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 1
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)