Apr 10, 2013, 10:20 AM EDT
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
Cody Zeller is heading to the NBA.
Indiana’s star center will made his intentions known this afternoon in a press conference. Draft Express projects him as the No. 6 pick in this year’s draft, one slot behind teammate Victor Oladipo, who declared for the draft yesterday.
“I believe it is in my best interest to pursue my professional basketball career in the NBA next season,” he said.
Zeller was a second team all-american this season after averaging 16.1 points and 7.3 boards. In his two seasons with Indiana, he went 56-16 and played a major role in the renaissance of the program. If he doesn’t pick the Hoosiers, Indiana isn’t a Sweet 16 team in 2012 and they don’t win the Big Ten title in 2013.
It will be interesting to see just how good of a pro Zeller will be. He’s terrific in transition and when it comes to running the floor, but he struggled at times this season against teams with above-average athletes and length. He also doesn’t have a great back-to-the-basket game, which was exposed later in the season.
Indiana will lose their top four scorers this offseason, but Tom Crean has a stockpile of talent on his roster and another loaded recruiting class coming in this season, headlined by five-star power forward Noah Vonleh.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (3)
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)