Apr 10, 2013, 10:20 AM EST
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
Cody Zeller is heading to the NBA.
Indiana’s star center will made his intentions known this afternoon in a press conference. Draft Express projects him as the No. 6 pick in this year’s draft, one slot behind teammate Victor Oladipo, who declared for the draft yesterday.
“I believe it is in my best interest to pursue my professional basketball career in the NBA next season,” he said.
Zeller was a second team all-american this season after averaging 16.1 points and 7.3 boards. In his two seasons with Indiana, he went 56-16 and played a major role in the renaissance of the program. If he doesn’t pick the Hoosiers, Indiana isn’t a Sweet 16 team in 2012 and they don’t win the Big Ten title in 2013.
It will be interesting to see just how good of a pro Zeller will be. He’s terrific in transition and when it comes to running the floor, but he struggled at times this season against teams with above-average athletes and length. He also doesn’t have a great back-to-the-basket game, which was exposed later in the season.
Indiana will lose their top four scorers this offseason, but Tom Crean has a stockpile of talent on his roster and another loaded recruiting class coming in this season, headlined by five-star power forward Noah Vonleh.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 0
- Senior starters once again lead the way for No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing the most important part: His One Shining Moment 2
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 2
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 2
- After win at No. 18 SMU, No. 11 Louisville is once again peaking in March 0
- Wake Forest beats No. 4 Duke as Blue Devils struggle to score again 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)