Apr 10, 2013, 10:20 AM EDT
(CLICK HERE to follow along with who is turning pro and who is returning to school.)
Cody Zeller is heading to the NBA.
Indiana’s star center will made his intentions known this afternoon in a press conference. Draft Express projects him as the No. 6 pick in this year’s draft, one slot behind teammate Victor Oladipo, who declared for the draft yesterday.
“I believe it is in my best interest to pursue my professional basketball career in the NBA next season,” he said.
Zeller was a second team all-american this season after averaging 16.1 points and 7.3 boards. In his two seasons with Indiana, he went 56-16 and played a major role in the renaissance of the program. If he doesn’t pick the Hoosiers, Indiana isn’t a Sweet 16 team in 2012 and they don’t win the Big Ten title in 2013.
It will be interesting to see just how good of a pro Zeller will be. He’s terrific in transition and when it comes to running the floor, but he struggled at times this season against teams with above-average athletes and length. He also doesn’t have a great back-to-the-basket game, which was exposed later in the season.
Indiana will lose their top four scorers this offseason, but Tom Crean has a stockpile of talent on his roster and another loaded recruiting class coming in this season, headlined by five-star power forward Noah Vonleh.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 13
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 10
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close 36
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field 15
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Updated tournament records: Kentucky moves SEC above .500 (22)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field (15)