Apr 10, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
After 14 seasons as head coach, Scott Sanderson has resigned at Lipscomb.
The university made the announcement official on their athletics website Tuesday afternoon.
This is an end-of-an-era type move for the program, as Sanderson has been the Bison’s only coach since moving up from NAIA to NCAA Division I. The transition began in 1999, Sanderson’s first season at the helm.
“I would like to express my sincere appreciation and gratitude to Lipscomb University for the wonderful 14 years my family and I have experienced here,” said Sanderson in a prepared statement. “After much consideration, I believe it is time for me and the university to go in different directions. I do believe we have made positive strides in guiding the program from NAIA to NCAA Division I competition. I would like to thank my current and former players, my coaching staff—both past and present—the administration, our board of trustees and our president, Dr. Randy Lowry. I wish Lipscomb University much success in all its future endeavors.”
Overall, Sanderson went 222-201 in his time in Nashville, taking the program to its only postseason appearance as a Division I program in 2006, when they lost to UTEP in the first round of the NIT. He was named Atlantic Sun Coach of the Year that season as well.
Lipscomb finished the 2012-13 season at 12-18, 7-11 in the A-Sun. The Bison’s last winning record was a 17-13 mark during the 2010-11 season.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)