Apr 10, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT
The star of former head coach Mike Rice’s recruiting class at Rutgers, Shane Rector, has decommitted from the program.
It shouldn’t be a surprise. The head coach that recruited him there is gone and the program looks like it’s destined to be a disaster for the next few years. Rector is a talented enough recruit that he should be able to find a bigger program with a better future to attend.
Perhaps the biggest surprise, however, is that Rice actually called him up to warn him of the video that would be airing on ESPN’s Outside The Lines.
“Before the video came out he called me up. He talked to me,” Rector told the Daily News. “He told me there was going to be a video about him online. He wasn’t trying to hide it from me. I still felt comfortable.”
“Once they fired the head coach you don’t really know what’s going to happen – who they’re going to hire, if they’re going to like you or not,” said Rector, who attended South Kent (Conn.) following his junior year at St. Ray’s in the Bronx. “So the best decision for me, just so I could have all my bases covered (was to decommit).”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 1
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was (5)