Apr 10, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT
The star of former head coach Mike Rice’s recruiting class at Rutgers, Shane Rector, has decommitted from the program.
It shouldn’t be a surprise. The head coach that recruited him there is gone and the program looks like it’s destined to be a disaster for the next few years. Rector is a talented enough recruit that he should be able to find a bigger program with a better future to attend.
Perhaps the biggest surprise, however, is that Rice actually called him up to warn him of the video that would be airing on ESPN’s Outside The Lines.
“Before the video came out he called me up. He talked to me,” Rector told the Daily News. “He told me there was going to be a video about him online. He wasn’t trying to hide it from me. I still felt comfortable.”
“Once they fired the head coach you don’t really know what’s going to happen – who they’re going to hire, if they’re going to like you or not,” said Rector, who attended South Kent (Conn.) following his junior year at St. Ray’s in the Bronx. “So the best decision for me, just so I could have all my bases covered (was to decommit).”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)