Apr 10, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT
The star of former head coach Mike Rice’s recruiting class at Rutgers, Shane Rector, has decommitted from the program.
It shouldn’t be a surprise. The head coach that recruited him there is gone and the program looks like it’s destined to be a disaster for the next few years. Rector is a talented enough recruit that he should be able to find a bigger program with a better future to attend.
Perhaps the biggest surprise, however, is that Rice actually called him up to warn him of the video that would be airing on ESPN’s Outside The Lines.
“Before the video came out he called me up. He talked to me,” Rector told the Daily News. “He told me there was going to be a video about him online. He wasn’t trying to hide it from me. I still felt comfortable.”
“Once they fired the head coach you don’t really know what’s going to happen – who they’re going to hire, if they’re going to like you or not,” said Rector, who attended South Kent (Conn.) following his junior year at St. Ray’s in the Bronx. “So the best decision for me, just so I could have all my bases covered (was to decommit).”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason (3)