Apr 10, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT
The star of former head coach Mike Rice’s recruiting class at Rutgers, Shane Rector, has decommitted from the program.
It shouldn’t be a surprise. The head coach that recruited him there is gone and the program looks like it’s destined to be a disaster for the next few years. Rector is a talented enough recruit that he should be able to find a bigger program with a better future to attend.
Perhaps the biggest surprise, however, is that Rice actually called him up to warn him of the video that would be airing on ESPN’s Outside The Lines.
“Before the video came out he called me up. He talked to me,” Rector told the Daily News. “He told me there was going to be a video about him online. He wasn’t trying to hide it from me. I still felt comfortable.”
“Once they fired the head coach you don’t really know what’s going to happen – who they’re going to hire, if they’re going to like you or not,” said Rector, who attended South Kent (Conn.) following his junior year at St. Ray’s in the Bronx. “So the best decision for me, just so I could have all my bases covered (was to decommit).”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)