Apr 10, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT
The star of former head coach Mike Rice’s recruiting class at Rutgers, Shane Rector, has decommitted from the program.
It shouldn’t be a surprise. The head coach that recruited him there is gone and the program looks like it’s destined to be a disaster for the next few years. Rector is a talented enough recruit that he should be able to find a bigger program with a better future to attend.
Perhaps the biggest surprise, however, is that Rice actually called him up to warn him of the video that would be airing on ESPN’s Outside The Lines.
“Before the video came out he called me up. He talked to me,” Rector told the Daily News. “He told me there was going to be a video about him online. He wasn’t trying to hide it from me. I still felt comfortable.”
“Once they fired the head coach you don’t really know what’s going to happen – who they’re going to hire, if they’re going to like you or not,” said Rector, who attended South Kent (Conn.) following his junior year at St. Ray’s in the Bronx. “So the best decision for me, just so I could have all my bases covered (was to decommit).”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)