Apr 11, 2013, 10:22 AM EST
Russ Smith may not be heading to the NBA after all.
If you remember — and if you’re a Louisville fan, how could you forget — Russ Smith’s father told a reporter after the national title game that Russ wouldn’t be returning to school for his senior season.
And frankly, it makes sense. He’s already won a national title and become an all-american. What more does he have to play in college for? He’s not going to grow three inches. He’s never going to be a true point guard. Russ is always going to be Russdiculous. All that will happen if he stays is that scouts and critics will have more time to pick apart his game.
But it looks like Russ may be leaning towards coming back now.
“Russ, I think, is 50-50,” Rick Pitino said on Drew Deener’s radio show this morning. “He’s a very confused young man. He didn’t want his dad to say that. He wanted time to think a bit.”
With Terry Rozier and Chris Jones joining the program and Wayne Blackshear and Luke Hancock also returning, Louisville doesn’t need Smith, per se. But you never turn down a kid that’s been an all-american.
It will be interesting to see what happens from here.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 1
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)