Apr 11, 2013, 10:22 AM EDT
Russ Smith may not be heading to the NBA after all.
If you remember — and if you’re a Louisville fan, how could you forget — Russ Smith’s father told a reporter after the national title game that Russ wouldn’t be returning to school for his senior season.
And frankly, it makes sense. He’s already won a national title and become an all-american. What more does he have to play in college for? He’s not going to grow three inches. He’s never going to be a true point guard. Russ is always going to be Russdiculous. All that will happen if he stays is that scouts and critics will have more time to pick apart his game.
But it looks like Russ may be leaning towards coming back now.
“Russ, I think, is 50-50,” Rick Pitino said on Drew Deener’s radio show this morning. “He’s a very confused young man. He didn’t want his dad to say that. He wanted time to think a bit.”
With Terry Rozier and Chris Jones joining the program and Wayne Blackshear and Luke Hancock also returning, Louisville doesn’t need Smith, per se. But you never turn down a kid that’s been an all-american.
It will be interesting to see what happens from here.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 0
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 11
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Updated tournament records: Kentucky moves SEC above .500 (23)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)