Apr 11, 2013, 10:22 AM EDT
Russ Smith may not be heading to the NBA after all.
If you remember — and if you’re a Louisville fan, how could you forget — Russ Smith’s father told a reporter after the national title game that Russ wouldn’t be returning to school for his senior season.
And frankly, it makes sense. He’s already won a national title and become an all-american. What more does he have to play in college for? He’s not going to grow three inches. He’s never going to be a true point guard. Russ is always going to be Russdiculous. All that will happen if he stays is that scouts and critics will have more time to pick apart his game.
But it looks like Russ may be leaning towards coming back now.
“Russ, I think, is 50-50,” Rick Pitino said on Drew Deener’s radio show this morning. “He’s a very confused young man. He didn’t want his dad to say that. He wanted time to think a bit.”
With Terry Rozier and Chris Jones joining the program and Wayne Blackshear and Luke Hancock also returning, Louisville doesn’t need Smith, per se. But you never turn down a kid that’s been an all-american.
It will be interesting to see what happens from here.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 22
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (24)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)