Apr 11, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
To follow along with the 2013 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Nearly three weeks following the decision of Jeff Jackson to resign following his seventh season as head coach at Furman, the school has reportedly found his replacement.
According to a report from CBSSports.com Colorado State assistant Niko Medved will be hired by the Southern Conference school.
Medved spent the last five seasons in Fort Collins, assisting Tim Miles for four years and Larry Eustachy in 2012-13 following Miles’ leaving to take over the Nebraska program. Medved will be a familiar face to some on the Furman campus, as he spent three seasons at the school as an assistant and was even the interim head coach back in 2006.
Medved will have quite the rebuilding job in front of him, as Furman won just seven games (7-24, 3-15 SoCon) in 2012-13. Three of Furman’s top four scorers from last season have eligibility remaining, led by guard Stephen Croone (9.9 ppg), but this is a group that struggled mightily on the defensive end.
Opponents shot 46.1% from the field, and according to Ken Pomeroy’s numbers the Paladins ranked 339th in the country in adjusted defensive efficiency (Furman ranked 326th in adjusted offensive efficiency). Frankly not much went right for Furman, which lost ten straight games before knocking off Samford in the first round of the Southern Conference tournament.
The hope now is that Medved can turn around a program that is just two seasons removed from winning 22 games (2010-11).
Photo credit: Colorado State University
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 0
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 0
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 1
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 5 Oklahoma State’s win over Purdue exemplifies issues with new foul rules (3)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)